Cremation

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are you thought's on cremation?
Have you ever gotten one of your kid's cremated?
What did or will you do with the ashes?

I'v been thinking lately, I really wish I had to get my first girl cremated. I decided that when it's time for the ratties I have now (a LONG time from now I hope) I am going to get them cremated. Once all are gone, I will combine all their ashes and spread them in thier favorite place.

I've buried basically all of mine but fast running out of space. Luckily have quite a big garden and they are all next to their cagemates, best friends, and families (brothers, sisters, and mums when the time comes). I got Monkey cremated because I couldn't bear to bury her outside. I got a special urn for her with her name in gold on top of it, they gave the urn with some fake flowers and a certificate, which I found lovely touches. She just feels a bit closer to me. I know there are ones buried out there I wish I had got cremated. Probably my first six (Gus, Toby, Cream, Badger, Perry, Fred, Honey, Willow) and a few others such as Fern. I just wish I had, but at the time, it hadn't even crossed my mind. It was only with Monkey I really thought about it more.

Ratty Momma said:
What are you thought's on cremation?

I think it can be a lovely idea to keep them either close to you in something like a box, or urn, or if you did chose to scatter their ashes. When you lose them, it's a very personal decision. Obviously you can either go for a communal or private cremation and the place near us cremates each pet separate. I wouldn't want it any other way. Some people I know actually just let the vet "deal with" their bodies but I know I couldn't do that. It's personal and it's up to you, what is easiest for you to do.

I get my rats cremated because we don't own a house and have nowhere to bury them where I can feel confident that they will not be disturbed. It typically costs $25-30 per rat to be cremated but if I want the ashes, it's about five times that. As sad as it sounds, I decided to not get their ashes back, deciding instead on spending that money to take care of the rats that are still alive.

victoria said:
I get my rats cremated because we don't own a house and have nowhere to bury them where I can feel confident that they will not be disturbed. It typically costs $25-30 per rat to be cremated but if I want the ashes, it's about ten times that. As sad as it sounds, I decided to not get their ashes back, deciding instead on spending that money to take care of the rats that are still alive.

It's not what I personally do, but that doesn't sound sad or wrong to me at all. It's understandable. :heart:

I don't own property so I wait until I have quite a few rats that need to be cremated (bodies are wrapped in fleece, in plastic containers in the freezer). Then I have them cremated as a group. It is much too expensive to have each cremated separately ... and it seems fitting to cremate them as a group as they lived together. Their ashes are buried in a garden at godmothers ... in the ground not in a container. I don't want anyone to disturb their bodies so cremation seemed the best solution.

My last cat, Sunshine, and I were together for over 19 years. He is buried in the back yard of the house where I grew up and later rented an apartment. My mother sold the home two years ago and I am very disturbed about Sunshine’s body remaining there. I now wish I had him cremated.

SQ said:
My last cat, Sunshine, and I were together for over 19 years. He is buried in the back yard of the house where I grew up and later rented an apartment. My mother sold the home two years ago and I am very disturbed about Sunshine’s body remaining there. I now wish I had him cremated.
I went through this exact problem last fall. My grandmother had several acres of property and had lived there for 30 years. Everyone in our family buried their pets there. My dog from when I was a child, my heart cat, my grandparent's dog, all of my previous rats and reptile rescues that didn't make it, my sister's hamster, my mother's childhood guinea pig, my uncle's turtle from when he was a kid...the list goes on. It's a literal pet cemetery. And when she moved after the divorce, it really upset me to think that I would never be able to visit any of them ever again. Also, looking at it another way, if I bought a house and say, wanted to build a garden and found a bunch of animal remains that would upset me...I would be really bothered that I'd disturbed something's grave. I really think cremation is the way to go. You can't always keep everyone's ashes, but if you take them and have a moment and put them somewhere nice...I think that'd be the best way.

We bury ours at father in laws place they have lived there for years and have no intentions of leaving :D Its in the country also under a mini tree that will become big in years to come.

EDITED: for big typo :?

lilangel said:
We bury ours at father in laws place they have lived there for years and have no intentions of living :D Its in the country also under a mini tree that will become big in years to come.

My parents don't have intentions of leaving this home either luckily.

I don't own property and I kind of have the mentality of "they never really saw the outdoors anyways". I do get them cremated, but I don't get their ashes back, it's just too expensive. My vet however does paw imprints in clay which is a great memento. They send them un-baked and I can put their name and their dates on it.

When I lost both my girls it was a big deal to me to know they wouldn't just be just tossed in the heap. I made sure the vet I chose cremated them and treated them with respect. I thought about burying them here, but we move fairly often and couldn't bear the thought of an animal digging them up either, so I opted for cremation. I would have loved to have Sakura's ashes, but couldn't afford it and Mom said "I didn't need them." I have the most important thing though, the memory of a wonderful pair of fur babies.

Rachael said:
lilangel said:
We bury ours at father in laws place they have lived there for years and have no intentions of living :D Its in the country also under a mini tree that will become big in years to come.

My parents don't have intentions of leaving this home either luckily.

Sorry meant to type leaving also >.< big typo there i did :giggle:

I am having some of my rats cremated, my frst 2 boys, who have now past on, I have in the freezer and am going to get them cremeted, I cannot bare the thought of them being away from me, i want to keep their ashes and I do not own a house so I dont like the idea that where ever I barely them their bodies could be disturbed.

Chevalrose said:
I don't own property and I kind of have the mentality of "they never really saw the outdoors anyways". I do get them cremated, but I don't get their ashes back, it's just too expensive. My vet however does paw imprints in clay which is a great memento. They send them un-baked and I can put their name and their dates on it.

That's awesome, Id love to have a paw imprint.

I've only lost one rat so far, in the mid winter..
I cremated him, because it was over a meter of snow-_-..
I would have just buried him if I could have done it without needing dynamite..
Cremating them and getting the ashes back costs me over half my paycheck..
I buried him in the yard when the snow finally disappeared..

I use to bury my rats when I lived in an apartment somewhere nice, like a park (although, I'm sure there is a city by-law somewhere regarding disposing of pets at a park). When I couldn't bury them (like winter or no spot to bury them and too broke for cremation) I would have the vet dispose the bodies. Yes, I know some of you will think that is cold and heartless, but once my beloved pets die I don't have any strong attachments to the body because of my beliefs. But that doesn't mean I never loved them. Anyway, now I have them cremated and bury or spread their ashes in memory.

MissGuardian said:
I would have just buried him if I could have done it without needing dynamite..
:lol:

RatsForever said:
quote="MissGuardian"]I would have just buried him if I could have done it without needing dynamite..
:lol:[/quote]
It's been many many years since it was so much snow here.. And is still below zero in the nights sometimes :wallbang:

I'm dragging this topic out of limbo instead of creating a new thread, for the sake of keeping things tidy. :>

I'm having my heart rat cremated at the end of Feb. Does anyone know how much I can expect back from a 1lb rat? I'm hunting down the perfect vessel for him but I'm stumped on what size it should be.

Back