Crazy Idea: Laser Therapy for HED?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aida

Hey shackers,

I was volunteering at my vets, and I watched them do two laser therapies on a squirrle's backbone, and on a duck's feet. The squirrle had an amputated tail and a painful back, the duck had arthritis and inflammation.

Of course, my thoughts instantly jumped to: could this maybe help HED with le ratters?
The laser works by emiting a cold laser that is shined over the problem areas as it flashes. The laser helps cells multiply, grow, and reduces pain/inflammation. It is used on pets, and it is also used on human athletes all the time. The procedure takes about 5 minutes at the most, with the actual laser flashing only being 1-2 minutes. The treatment is given in multiple appointments, usually 4 or 6-- and they say a difference can be seen as soon as right after the first treatment, but obviously gets better the more you do it. It seems like a lot of vets in my area offer it to all types of animals, and the average price is about ~$150 for 6 treatments.

Any ideas?
It is just a thought that came to mind, I'm not even sure if HED is caused by issues that this could aid. Still, it is an alternative to keep in mind for your other pets, if they have arthritis or infections or whatnot. :thumbup:

My vet also uses laser therapy for things like arthritis, pain, large cuts, surgery sites and much more etc.

That would be a cool idea, I dont think there would be any harm, but I have no idea if it would help the rats at all. (My vet did do a laser on a rat that hurt its back, and sent them home with metacam, rat was fine a few days later...)

A friend had cold laser therapy for an HED rat, and he made slow progress with it before he died (age). I'll ask her for better details. She currently has an HED boy undergoing acupuncture. He is amazingly back to walking on his wheel!

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2

Acupuncture?
Wow! HOW do you get a rat to sit still while you poke pins in it? ;^
Ha ha, the things we do for our rats! We must look COMPLETELY insane to the non rodent-lovers~

Aida said:
Acupuncture?
Wow! HOW do you get a rat to sit still while you poke pins in it? ;^
Ha ha, the things we do for our rats! We must look COMPLETELY insane to the non rodent-lovers~
temblabamomo said:
A friend had cold laser therapy for an HED rat, and he made slow progress with it before he died (age). I'll ask her for better details. She currently has an HED boy undergoing acupuncture. He is amazingly back to walking on his wheel!

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2

My vet is more into holistic wellness then conventional medicine and also do a lot of acupuncture. If I remember I'll ask them on Thursday how they get them to stay still for that.

This is very interesting.
But I do wonder how this would work with rats and what benefit. Many vets are concluding that HED in rats is actually a neurological issue.

jorats said:
This is very interesting.
But I do wonder how this would work with rats and what benefit. Many vets are concluding that HED in rats is actually a neurological issue.

Would love to hear more about this. Are there any particular treatment implications, or is the research in too early a stage?

Wow, really?
I always thought it was a degradation of the back bones/muscles, like the name implies. Still, I've never even had a rat with HED, I just brought it up in case some of you haven't seen or had laser therapy on a pet before. I imagine it can be used for so many things, and like amanda said, it's good on wounds or anything that needs to heal, too.

I asked about the acupuncture today and the Doctor that saw Kona/Bumbles has actually done it on a mouse!! They don't hold them still, but most get a rush of endorphins and become very relaxed in their owners arms and lay very still on their own for about 15 minutes. If this doesn't happen they just let them walk around with the needles in. Popper is actually a candidate for it. A couple weeks ago I noticed his tail hangs funny. When he walks it doesn't stick out straight, but lays to the left then going out straight. She looked at this spine today and he has some nerve issues and could probably benefit from acupuncture, but since it isn't affecting him any there is no need for that.

Wow, that's insane! Thanks for finding out for me.

Jorats, I'm going again the day after tomorrow,I will ask more, and see if someone brings in a rat. ;)

Back