Crass - gone

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spork

I'm concerned about my old lady Crass, she's about 30 months now and is definitely showing her age, and last night she held her cheerio on the ground to eat it rather than sitting up, so obviously my first concern is PT, but I'm also thinking maybe it her HED is just at the point where she can't sit up to eat anymore.

She's been getting lazier and less agile over time, but last night I became worried when I noticed either blood or porph all over her hands and forearms, I wiped it off and found no visible injuries, so my two theories are either a nose bleed, or poor grooming (i.e. wiping porph off her nose, but not bothering to wipe it off her hands/arms.) After this happened I was watching her much more closely, so I noticed when I gave her a cheerio and she ate it on the floor. I gave her another, but this time with the camera ready:

And here's a vid of her walking around on my bed:

Crass is my first oldie, I've never actually witnessed PT, so I don't know if this is it or if she's just getting old and lazy.

So, that's my question - Old age or PT?

So far, I wouldn't think PT. She is aging, that's obvious but I wouldn't say PT yet. Her walk looks like granny rat walk. She's a wonderful size, no extreme weight loss. Such a pretty darling.

jorats said:
So far, I wouldn't think PT. She is aging, that's obvious but I wouldn't say PT yet. Her walk looks like granny rat walk. She's a wonderful size, no extreme weight loss. Such a pretty darling.
Thank you Jo, after the initial panic of last night I started to think that too, but was worried I was just lying to myself, especially since I have no basis for comparison.

What a relief!

On the topic of weight, she has lost some, but since I haven't weighed her in several months I'm not sure how gradual or sudden it been. Back in November she was 600 grams, and last night she weighed in at 490. From here on out I'm gonna try to keep better track.

Isnt one of the signs clubbing the paws to? I am just wondering, i know I had this question with Templeton I was just wondering if they club it then it is more pt and straight on the ground more HED.

I am sorry this is happening to crass. I love hearing her nuttiness. Hopefully she can age slowly :)

Clubbing or knuckling as my vet calls it is definitely a sign of PT but when they hold the ground and hang on to the food with one hand, that's more of a balance issue.
As for Crass, that's a dramatic weight loss and she needs to adjust to that. If she continues to lose weight in large amounts, something is up. Still though at 490, if she can maintain that, it's a good weight for her.

Have crass out with me, she very limp, eyes squinty and porphy, tongue hanging out if her mouth, chirpy breathing that wasn't happening before.

Pic from yesterday:
DSCN0795.jpg

Video from about an hour ago:

She looks very tired, but not in pain. Is she gasping? It didn't look like that to me. Just keep her comfortable and hydrated. Hugs

I am very sorry...she looked like she was winding down in the first video...and it could've been something like stroke or PT but it could also be she just left at her natural time. Sweet old Crass. (((hugs)))

Back