Crabbies!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iRat

I have lots of furry critters but I thought I would share some of my non-furry critters first. I've only been keeping hermit crabs for a few months now but they are addictive and fun to watch (well, when they're not under the sand molting!). I have 6 of these little guys. Four I rescued off of Craigslist and the other two I bought from Petco.

This is Bob Marley. He came in one of those toxic painted shells and it had a peace sign on it hence the name. But he has since changed in to a natural shell. And I'm about 90% sure Bob Marley is a female but she is stuck with the name!

This gal is nameless and she is one of the ones I got off of Craigslist. I took this photo after she spent over a month under the sand distressing/molting. You can tell when a crab has molted from the hairy legs and long nails.

Those are all the photos I have on my computer at the moment. Enjoy!

Yeah there is a good chance if you try to cuddle one of these guys you'll get pinched! I have yet to be pinched and plan to keep it that way. They are a very hands off type of pet since they require heat and humidity. The only times I take them out of their tank for photos is after a molt just for IDing purposes.

I tried to "like" them once . I bought 3 of them with some really cool lookin shells but found that they kinda creeped me out so I re-homed them to a crabbie lover. No offence , as I love all critters but they just reminded me of the crustaceon version of roaches, do to the long feeler thingies they have. :pale:

But congrats on yours !:wink:

I have hermit crabs as well and am a member of the HCA:Hermit Crab Association. http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=101859
I have been keeping them for over 5 years and yess there is an addiction to them. Here the addiction is called GGMR (gotta get more rats) in the HC world its BTS (bigger tank syndrome)
Never enough room for all the stuff you want to add.
I have only been pinched painfully once...and that was by on at Petsmart when I worked there.
Guess this is a good opportunity to introduce a few of mine.
This is Blaze/Zoyburg (he goes by either) he's a large strawberry hermit crab
8fd493c2a8f2d37adc82eb16155cd59c.jpg

And Violet my blueberry crab
9e1ff473cd46b74651d0c9e2f5e129c3.jpg

The 40G set up (5 large crabs) 1 just passed this weekend.
8fa6117570069365894f30f46285a69b.jpg

And the 15G (4 mall-med crabs)
e401feda3e98a1e22131f856bbaf1736.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty little critters. Have always wanted a few myself but don't really know enough about then to take good care if them. Plus we're a beach tourist destination and I hate seeing them being bought on a whim by vacationing families who buy them on a whim.

Thats all too common sadly. I have a few who were from New Jersey. Plucked off the beach and put in a kritter keeper for a few months til the kids got bored and passed them on. I give them as close to a beach/jungle as I can.
And those painted shells are just silly and horrible.

I toyed with the idea of getting a hermit crab before we got our girls, but I was the only one in the family open to companion crustaceans... Maybe someday when I have more free time!

Thanks for sharing the pictures of your little friends--the images turned out well. I was interested to see the different colorations. Are they different species, or just different varieties?

Varieties, there are several. Some have more needs then others like Ecuadorians and strawberry crabs like more access to salt water pools and in my experience PPs (Purple Pinchers) are more likely to find their way out of cages and are little spidermen, crawling along the most precarious ways

Sterling your hermit crabs are beautiful! I hope to get a couple of E's and strawberries one day. I'll have to get a photo of my tat. I have a 40g. breeder tank and I so want to upgrade!

I love them. They are like a personal garbage disposal. They eat just about anything, egg shells, husks & skins off veggies and fruit. Mine looove brine shrimp and crickets and go through spurts of devouring meal worms. But the frozen blood worms you buy for fish is their ultimate favourite treat.
Right now my strawberry crab is m.i.a molting I assume but hes been down nearly 9 months! I did have my one big PP take 18 months to molt though so who knows how much longer he'll take. Just hope he's healthy.

Hard to say! I have a few guys that are estimated 10yrs old. Not many people witness them being born or buy them in infancy. So no one really knows. They are certainly a committment.

We have had our little hermit crab for almost 3 years and he is a smart little guy. He even got lose one time and a couple of hours later crawled from where ever his ventures had taken him because I looked everywhere and couldn't find him but he came back and crawled right onto my show like "ok mom, I am done now." He loves to climb! he would find his way to the ceiling if I let him. Too bad the rats just want him for a snack haha but the dogs like him. He could use a bigger tank though, he is in a 10 gallon right now so maybe some day instead of splurging on rats, I will splurg on him.Here is a picture of his pro climbing skills..

1377473_10200985843421842_2144768450_n.jpg

1488113_10201626687002531_303107675_n.jpg

I ask because I have lots of supplies including a 15G and a 25/30G tank sitting around as we downsized.
Sad news is Blaze my strawberry crab past away this afternoon. It looks like the other crabs ganged up on him and tore him limb from limb literally!! Sad day! RIP beautiful boy!
458519210026a8e7cd9e6990c75f3979.jpg

Back