Crab Walking

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k.leslie

Does anyone know why rats crab walk when they're acting aggressively? I've tried to find out online but can't seem to. And does crabwalking usually lead to a full blown fight?

it is a male showing his dominance. When I see that a bit will generally follow. It is hard to say if it will always lead to a fight but it can. He is a puffy boy so I would watch them closely during intros and I would also remember to watch your hands when they are like that you could be bitten as well. If he continues doing that then you may need a neuter for him.

I recently learned they have scent glands on their flank area, so it also seems to be another way spreading their scent ergo claiming dominance. I also always assumed they led with their sides so as to protect their face by no charging head on.

Kona has started the side walk and cage rubbing when we are talking to the destructo 7 - it used to just be that he puffed up!! He hates those boys, or maybe just Throttle for trying to rip his head off!!!!

Does it lead to a full blown fight. Not really. The side butting is normal when showing dominance. Usually the other one will submit unless you have two dominant rats. But if you only have a two or three, they will settle their differences without a full blown fight. Even if they do go into a rat ball, it doesn't necessarily mean they hate each other. They are working things out. If you do see a bite which to be honest, is not common, then it's time to consider neutering the bully.

Back