COULD this work?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synnøve

I am not a rich girl, with my small allowance :p
But I still need a bigger cage for my two little girls.

I came overt this cage on a buy and sell-site.

http://finn.no/finn/viewimage?finnkode= ... Hovedbilde

It doesn't look very pretty in the pic, but with a bit of cleaning I think it could work. And the big advantage is that the lady who's selling it lives in my town, so i don't have to worry about shipping cost. And it's veeery cheap too! Only 250 kr (45,23 CAD, i think :p). Many cages this size cost at least 1000 kr. And the two, quite big openings look practical.
The measures are 80 x 70 x 50 cm. It's two girls who will live there.

Could I make this work, if i just make it pretty with lots of toys and stuff? :p

It would need a really good scrubbing with bleach or something, but it could work! You can get shelving of all sorts pretty cheaply, like corner shelves, cooking racks [1/2"grid], and similar items. The size looks okay, too.

With toys, hammocks, and some levels, it'd be great for 2 girls.

You get both cages? If you set them high enough most kids won't jump from there, you could let them come and go between them...
Even the bottom one is plenty big enough for a couple girls! baskets & hammocks and you have happy kids!
I'd lock them in the bottom when I left the house and leave the 2 open to each other when I was home.

I think I will only buy the top one. Cause the other one is an outside cage (i probably could use it inside..but..) and it's so long, i don't think it will fit in the room they're gonna be in

But I will ask the lady more about what kinda shape the cage is in. If it's bad i'll probably don't buy it, but if it's farely good i will :)

That's not a big-size cage. But I really think that cage-size figuring thing is missing the most important factor and that is how much time do they spend in it?
A huge cage is gonna be small if they never get out, a smaller cage is ok if it's basically a bedroom for sleeping between out times. And they might sleep in a clump but they do need exercise.
That is a keeper cage rather than a habitat. Some hidey-houses and hammocks and they could be good if you have the time to spend with them out of it every day. Keep your eyes on the buy/sell sites and you'll find something bigger come up.
I guess you balance the cage size with time you can let them run around outside of it. If you're poor you just spend more time with them on your bed or couch with you :) You'll find that 's one of the nicest things about being poor :D

Not big sized? LOL for 2 rats is big enough :) Its the size of a furet plus :) Big doors, witch is also a big plus.
If you would clean it, i think you would have a nice cage.
Yoeah with a level (or2) and tubes/hammocks and other stuff it will be a nice cage. Dont know how much 250 kr/45 dollar is but if its round the 25/30 euro (i guess) its indeed a nice price.

I hope you're right, meep :)

Cause cage calculators say that it could hold 4 rats, so it must work for 2?
And by the way, they have a whole room to run around in during out time, so they get a bit of exersize there :)

Since 250 kr is very little, I though of maybe not selling connecting the one i have now, and just connect it with this one. But i don't know how I would do that... :?

If the seller lives nearby, cant you check the cage first? If its not what you expected, then you dont buy it. ;)

I always do -1 rat with the cage calculator. (-2 if its a huge cage) I think the amount of rats is a little to much what they reccoment. But yeah 2 will have enough space, maybe 3 will fit to, but thats depending on how much space you want to give the rats.

Back