Cost of a vet visit / meds?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSkyy

I was curious what vet visits run in your neck of the woods?

For me it's $60 approx. here in Colorado. Back in Indiana it was only $30! :emb:

It's really frustrating for me to pay a vet $60 for them to tell me what I already know. Basically just using them for their prescription pad. /vent

Gets really hard when they (rats) all get sniffly on you at the same time. How do some of you with large colonies do it? Do you just magically get huge bottles of Baytril from somewhere? Can you ask the vet to write a script for a big bottle and just compound it yourself? Is there a website that sells Baytril w/out a script?

(I have a BS in Biology and have worked with lab mice for many many years... So most vets trust me to be on a similar level when it comes to rats/mice. But they still charge me the same as any other person, and it adds up!)

I pay the same for an exam. For multiple rats, there's usually a group discount of some sort and he no longer charges me for pre-spay/neuter exams if there's no health issue. My vet is pretty good that if I tell him that a rat he's seen in the last year for a respiratory issue is sick again, he'll prescribe antibiotics without another exam. I also have a few that are chronic and he agrees it's best for them to be on meds for life. Usually when you build up a relationship with a vet and you're there a lot (I went 3 times last week), they do discount or remove charges.

That being said, it takes time to build up that relationship and it does suck when you move to a new city. I'm hopefully moving next year and I'm really trying to not add too many to my colony because I know my vet costs will increase quite a bit.

The place I used to go to was $60/each for exam. Now we have a group rate $80/6 rats exam. However, if I just bring one in its been $61.50 recheck is half that amount. Neuter is around $150.00. Basically every time I walk in it is costing me $175.00 and up - and unfortunately, that has been too frequent lately, about every two weeks...., but the babies need the care...

I pay $83 + tax for a vet visit. I get a discount for multiples but still ends up very expensive. This is why I really need to have less rats. They are simply to expensive now. :(

Wow the cost of vet care over there (US, Canada) is crazy expensive.
I'm obviously a different currency, here in Scotland UK I pay around £16 for a consultation fee and meds varies.
I racked up a bill of around £150 this past week but luckily I'm able to pay up in installments.

as for meds. I pay at cost since i work at the clinic. So 30 ml of baytril would be about $30, and 30 ml doxy would be about $20. It woud be a bit more expensive for a regular customer, but of course people don't usually buy a whole bottle.

It's about $40-60 for a visit in my area, depending on the vet (the more expensive not necessarily being better either!). Additional procedures or medications will add more to the cost of course. I think on average I've spent about $130 per rat on vet visits, after all was said and done.

For the exam only i pay $30 about and if the rat is in same cage with same illness most times he will just check both together. I would think if more then 2 though i would pay double. I do have my own Cipro/doxy at home that i bought for a start up if i see illness come up. To save me a bit.

Back