Cooling hot ratties? UPDATE: Frozen bottle FAIL!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dspch911 said:
I'll say the bad word - pet stores, but they have chiller pads for chinchillas - would that work?

Are you talking about these things? If so, I've already got three that I've been rotating through the freezer. But by the time I get home, they're not that much cooler than the surrounding temperature ...

51s0f9EM2oL.jpg

Give them a swimming pool (heavy pyrex dish that is a couple inches deep) so that they can swim. Their tails are what regulate their body temperature, so dipping their tails in cool water will cool them down. Also, rattie popsicles are great: frozen peas or berries! I usually float mine in their pool to encourage them to swim and the water also takes off the ice crystals from the surface so that they don't get their tongues or something stuck to the surface.

Eleanor said:
Give them a swimming pool (heavy pyrex dish that is a couple inches deep) so that they can swim. Their tails are what regulate their body temperature, so dipping their tails in cool water will cool them down. Also, rattie popsicles are great: frozen peas or berries! I usually float mine in their pool to encourage them to swim and the water also takes off the ice crystals from the surface so that they don't get their tongues or something stuck to the surface.

Ausgezeichnete Idee! :)

Eleanor said:

HA, my kiddos don't get a pool without supervision. They honestly make the world's biggest mess. I've got a couple of fat-bottomed boys who've managed to tip over heavy dishes when climbing out. And the girls have a funny habit of dragging fleece and bedding into it. But the popsicle is an awesome idea - I'll have to try that the next time I let them go pea-fishing.

I have purchased marble tiles from a local hardware store and used them on different levels of their enclosures. You can buy them individually at most locations and they are pretty inexpensive. I use an air purifier year round in their room which help circulate the air as well.

My boys favorite thing is their swimming pool! I set up a large cat litter box with ice cubes, cold water and occasionally peas. If the boys get warm they can take a dip. They also enjoy hiding the ice cubes everywhere and making a mess for me to clean.

Back