Congested

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meghan

Last night I noticed Suki sounded really congested. My husband says it sounds like its coming from her nose but when I hold her I can feel her lungs sort of vibrate when it happens. She doesn't make the sounds all the time, but quite a bit.

I took her into the bathroom for a while this morning and ran the hot water. It didn't help. How long should I be leaving her in there for?

About 3-4 weeks ago she had a pretty bad respiratory illness and was put on baytril and doxy. We're out of the doxy now but I still have some baytril. Should I start her on that again? Do I take her to the vet ASAP or let it ride out a few days.

She is about 25 months by the way.

Thanks!

She was prescribed them for 22 days but I think we made it to 20 days then we had a family emergency so we missed the next two days. Somehow I only had enough doxy to last me that many though.

Thats really only a day under the 3 weeks. My thought would be she may need to stay on the baytril forever. Or it may be signs of CHF...with all my cases of CHF thats always the first thing I think...It could also be both though too...

Rats need to be kept on antibiotics for respir for 4 to 6 weeks or they are often not completely over it and the symptoms will soon return.
You might see about getting enough meds for 6 weeks and start her on them asap.

meghan said:
I knew that vet was a waste of time. I'll make an appointment with another vet there.

Thanks guys.

Most respiratory issues resolve with 3 weeks of meds, but an older girl may need more help since her immune system doesn't work as well.

Give that pretty girl a kiss for me. :heart:

That guy just got under my skin so badly. He was so condescending and he took 45 minutes to get two small things of meds after telling me he'll be 10 minutes, tops. Bah. He knew how old she was. Hopefully I don't need to go through another appointment and can just get some more meds.

meghan said:
That guy just got under my skin so badly. He was so condescending and he took 45 minutes to get two small things of meds after telling me he'll be 10 minutes, tops. Bah. He knew how old she was. Hopefully I don't need to go through another appointment and can just get some more meds.

Oh yeah if you have a bad feeling around your vet you should definitely get a different vet next time something comes up, but try to get the meds this time from this one. :)

This place (Cavan Hills) has a bunch of vets in there, and the one that put my sweet Izzie to sleep was fantastic. So I'll try to get someone else next time, but when its an emergency visit its kind of hard. I wish Dr. Munn was closer!

I'll call tomorrow and let you know. For tonight I'll give her the Baytril.

henry's_mum said:
ask for Dr.Jay, I call him this because I apparently don't pronounce his last name correctly, which is Hsiao :giggle: . He's AWESOME hun. He's the one I mostly deal with.
He knows his stuff!

:cuddle:

Thats who I dealt with with Izzie! I can't for the life of me pronounce his name either!

I hope hes in tomorrow! Do you know if they have a follow up appointment rate?

meghan said:
henry's_mum said:
ask for Dr.Jay, I call him this because I apparently don't pronounce his last name correctly, which is Hsiao :giggle: . He's AWESOME hun. He's the one I mostly deal with.
He knows his stuff!

:cuddle:

Thats who I dealt with with Izzie! I can't for the life of me pronounce his name either!

I hope hes in tomorrow! Do you know if they have a follow up appointment rate?

NO clue sweetie....
I would call and see if they'll just re fill the meds for you.

Back