Conflict in the colony

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

I have five rats who have been living as one group for about a month. Things seemed to be going well, despite the varied ages and the fact that two were unsocialized feeders (each given away after the snake was not hungry) and that one was an SPCA rat from completely unknown background.

Last week I noticed that two rats, Susie and Hadley, had had hair pulled out from their faces. Then, a few days later, I had to separate Hadley after she was chasing and pinning two of the girls in a very aggressive way. When she pinned sweet elderly Jenny, she would not stop despite the shrieks of protest. Hadley also would chase after Susie ( former alpha) to pin her or to nip at her back.

Then, last evening during out time, SQ observed Valentinos trying to attack the other rats' faces and Patty nipping at the others' backs. Val and Patty are the former feeders.

Hadley is obviously unseating Susie from the alpha position, but she has no need to terrorize submissive little Jenny.

It doesn't feel good up there, and I'm not sure what to do. They have a very large quad CN with loads of hammocks and other hiding places. Things were no better when they were confined to half of the quad, and it got worse on the two days where I was rat sitting three others in the other half of the quad.

I long for my dear departed Cadillac, a relaxed and secure alpha who was never mean to anyone.

Any suggestions?

I was rat sitting for only a day or so, but that is when the serious shrieking began. Val had been nipping at backs all along, but had reduced the behavior over time. Now Jenny hides, and Susie runs from the aggressive Hadley.

Also, I do know a couple of things about Hadley after all. She was one of a box of six rats dumped at the Moncton SPCA doorstep. She was one of a pair listed on their website, but was separated from the other one and sent off to Miramichi SPCA, where I adopted her. SQ had phoned to ask why the separation and had been told that the girls were fighting. I've been feeling bad about her probable sister being alone and unadopted and have thought about driving out to get her, but maybe not such a good plan.

Is everyone spayed and neutered? I have been OK with intros until this group - my first where the females are not spayed. (The boys are done.)

You might want to try a time out cage. A small empty cage. Put the bully in there for 10 minutes each time they bully. Be consistent.

Everyone is spayed or neutered except for the elderly and submissive Jenny.
I will set up a bully cage for Hadley tonight. It is unfortunate that the shrieking often happens in mid morning and late at night, but I will address it whenever I can.
Thanks for the suggestions; this has been disheartening!

Back