Concerns about the vet's knowledge on rats? [Upcoming tumor removal surgery]

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandon

Hey everyone, just quickly checking in to give your input on something. I have surgery scheduled for my rat Momo to remove a mammary tumor this wednesday but I got an email asking for confirmation just now. Everything was fine, except one small detail... the email asked me to withhold food from 9:00 PM to the next morning but continue giving her water.

I read http://www.sandyscrittercity.com/surgerysafteyrisks.htm here that this isn't what you do - because it can deplete their energy sources and cause complications during the surgery. Now, the vet herself didn't tell me this, and I know it's an automated email - so tomorrow I'm going to phone them when they're open and ask to talk to her so I can inquire about this.

What I really want is a second opinion though. Is this website correct? And if so, and if the vet does actually think this is what you're supposed to do - should I cancel my appointment and find a different vet to perform the surgery like the site says?

To my knowledge the only reason for withholding food is to keep an animal from throwing up - in the case of dogs and cats.. but rats physically can't vomit so withholding food doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

There is a good chance that it is the same email that they send out to everyone before surgery so it applies to other animals that you have to withhold food before hand...My vet that I use gives us a pre op paper that says the same thing but when we got our first surgery their they explained that certain things on the paper only apply to certain animals and not to the rats like withholding food and water before hand..It just takes to much of their time to send/give out personalized care info...I have never been told to withhold food or water before rats surgeries and I have had no issues and both my girls woke right up and were ready to take on the world pretty much right after..I've got another girl going in tuesday for tumor removal and same thing with her..she will have food and water in her recovery cage before and after her surgery.

There is a good chance that it is the same email that they send out to everyone before surgery so it applies to other animals that you have to withhold food before hand...My vet that I use gives us a pre op paper that says the same thing but when we got our first surgery their they explained that certain things on the paper only apply to certain animals and not to the rats like withholding food and water before hand..It just takes to much of their time to send/give out personalized care info...I have never been told to withhold food or water before rats surgeries and I have had no issues and both my girls woke right up and were ready to take on the world pretty much right after..I've got another girl going in tuesday for tumor removal and same thing with her..she will have food and water in her recovery cage before and after her surgery.

Okay that sets my mind at ease. Are there any things I should make sure of before handing her over for the surgery? These are the bullet points I've gathered so far

- inhalant anesthetic, not injectable
- Making sure she's kept warm after the surgery to prevent hypothermia
- Making sure they give me pain killers to bring home for her
- Antibiotics

I also heard that litter should be kept away from the cage until it heals to prevent dust or dirt from getting into the wound.

Also should I keep her in a temporary cage until it heals or leave her in the main cage with her sisters? It's a multi level critter nation so I'm not sure if that complicates things post-op.

Now that you have the fasting taken care of, for me I put my surgical patients on fleece for a few days afterwards,
and mine usually went back in with their cagemates right away with me watching to see they don't get pestered too long.

It sounds like you have everything all figured out now. I too do not keep my rat separated from the gang. They are happier going home. Good luck with the surgery!

Here is a thread http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7691

Also an unconscious animal should never be placed on a heat source - a vet burned my rat to death (during surgery) by doing that
If you use a heat source after surgery (and most of us do not), she will need to have the space and the ability to move away from it

As others have said, rats go back in with their friends once they are no longer groggy
Pain meds is a must for a several days or a week or so (rats will not usually bother their incisions if they are not in pain)

Here is a thread http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7691

Also an unconscious animal should never be placed on a heat source - a vet burned my rat to death (during surgery) by doing that
If you use a heat source after surgery (and most of us do not), she will need to have the space and the ability to move away from it

As others have said, rats go back in with their friends once they are no longer groggy
Pain meds is a must for a several days or a week or so (rats will not usually bother their incisions if they are not in pain)

Oh god that's horrible. >< I'm really sorry you had to go through that. Yeah I'll definitely make sure my vet knows this. Also, thanks for the link. I'll make sure to go over the bullet points plentifully before taking Momo in.

Oh my gosh SQ that is horrifying!! Not sure why my laptop isn't letting to do the quote thing...

Back