Concern about Mr. Honeycomb and Chance

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M0onkist

I'm kind of at the point of tearing my hair out over all of this - it's gone past the 'boys will be boys' stage...

Mr. Honeycomb, as near as I can see, has become intensely territorial of the bottom half of the cage. Before, he only used to chase Chance out of the bottom half to the ramp and then that'd be it - Chance would hide in the Chube for a while, and all would return to normal.

But now he's chasing him clear up the ramp and the last time I caught them (well, separated them), he'd gotten clear into Chance's fruit basket (which I call 'his' only because Chance is almost always in there), had rolled onto his back, but had FUR between his teeth - Chance's fur, obviously.

I put Mr. Honeycomb in solitary confinement after this incident (he was ready to fight ME too, if it came to that - but I know how to hold him so that he can't get a grip on me or jerk free or bite), and it took some time to calm Chance down. My mother was one the phone at the time and heard all the screeching and screaming coming from their cage, and was so alarmed that she promptly declared she'd neuter Mr. H. himself if it came to that! (obviously it wouldn't!!!!)

Tim, of course, keeps saying Mr. Honeycomb is just startled by Chance sometimes, and happens to respond with aggressiveness. But I've noticed more and more these past couple of weeks that Chance barely sets foot on the bottom level, MUCH preferring to stick to his fruit basket, or the little ledge beside the fruit basket. He watches what goes on in the rest of the cage, but he doesn't like going down AT ALL.

Oh, also fyi, Chance weighs 341g, and Mr. Honeycomb 680g.

Their snuggling has decreased to almost nothing. Theorizing that maybe Mr. H. had decided that the main level was HIS territory and he wasn't letting Chance go near it, I managed to scrounge up an extra water bottle and filled it up, and gave it to Chance in his fruit basket - the poor little bugger drank like he hadn't seen water in a day.

Obviously, there's something seriously wrong with their dynamic now. And with the holidays coming up... egads, it just makes it more of a nightmare, y'know? But the last thing I want is for Chance to be terrified of living in his own cage, and if that means neutering Mr. H., so be it.

Solitaries for Mr. H., while he seems to enjoy them, aren't ideal because he's just so damn huge - and I don't think it's really fair to confine Chance for something he never instigated, and having two full-sized cages for just two rats in a small one-bedroom apartment's a non-starter...

So I'm really at a loss of what to do. I want them to get along, but I don't know if there's anyway to reach through to them.

How old are they? To me is sounds like Mr. H has hormonal aggression issues, and I think a neuter would clear things up quickly. But, I have far less experience with hormonal boys than many people here, as I keep all my boys neutered.

Pink

Sounds like a neuter is your best bet...and this is also a good example of why every cage should have at least 2 food and water sources just in case.

yep, he NEEDS a snip. Some of those Beaverton boys have had agression issues it seems....
The dads were/are AWESOME, but i've got Dozer here, the black dumbo berk, he's a MONSTER with anyone NOT in his circle, and can be a monster if they step out of line. But I do know mamarat had to have 2 out of 3 neutered too I think?

It will make life WAY easier for you all hun.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about him being a big bully, Jo - especially since he's twice the size of poor Chance!

I'm gonna call Dr. Munn in the morning, see how quickly he can fit him in relative to Christmas and all the other schedule things. I want to be around post-op to make sure nothing goes wrong (of course, not that I doubt Dr Munn's abilities for one moment!), so it might have to be after Christmas, and until then separate cages.

::sighs:: Mr. Honeycomb gets in moods where he's ready to fight with me, especially if he's just bullied Chance. I doubt he'd actually bite me, but I certainly never want to find out whether he would or not!

M0onkist said:
::sighs:: Mr. Honeycomb gets in moods where he's ready to fight with me, especially if he's just bullied Chance. I doubt he'd actually bite me, but I certainly never want to find out whether he would or not!

When rats get into that zone, he could very well bite you without him even knowing what he was doing.
This will be good for him. He will be such a happier rat.
I've recently had 6 done and the change in them is so dramatic. They are such happy rats now, not concerned at all about hormones.

jorats said:
M0onkist said:

When rats get into that zone, he could very well bite you without him even knowing what he was doing.
I've recently had 6 done and the change in them is so dramatic. They are such happy rats now, not concerned at all about hormones.

I was also going to say be very careful of him when he's like that... he could bite you badly. Poor guy.

LA said:
jorats said:
M0onkist said:

I was also going to say be very careful of him when he's like that... he could bite you badly. Poor guy.
I agree 100%. He sounds EXACTLY like my Brillo. He was a nasty wee thing, then when he was snipped, it was an INSTANT change in behaviour!
And yes, he WILL bite you when he's in 'the zone' hun, and he has NO clue he's doing like the above have mentioned... This happened to me with Brillo a few times, and I even had to go to the hospital once because of his bite! So be aware when he's like this, and get him in ASAP!
:hugs:

I left him in the travel cage overnight (Mr. Honeycomb I mean) - and he honestly doesn't seem to notice the shrinkage of space. He has his nice fuzzy sleeping bag (which he rearranges as he likes), food and water.

I WILL be 1000% percent more careful of dealing with him in the future when he's in that zone though, because of your warnings. Probably best in that situation to just pull Chance from the cage and wait for Mr. H. to calm, THEN move the miscreant into the travel cage.

My boy Remi went from sweet n' cuddly to cujo very quickly and bit me very badly, repeatedly. He recently bit my hubby (the last straw) and I was forced to re-home him (hubby refused to neuter). I hope you have much better luck.

Side question, how common is this? I can only think of one boy I had in the past who was a bit of a problem, but I see it mentioned a lot and worry about my wonderful sweet boy I have now (3.5 months old).

M0onkist said:
I left him in the travel cage overnight (Mr. Honeycomb I mean) - and he honestly doesn't seem to notice the shrinkage of space. He has his nice fuzzy sleeping bag (which he rearranges as he likes), food and water.

I WILL be 1000% percent more careful of dealing with him in the future when he's in that zone though, because of your warnings. Probably best in that situation to just pull Chance from the cage and wait for Mr. H. to calm, THEN move the miscreant into the travel cage.

This is an excellent idea. Also you can cuddle and console Chance.

Well, the snipperoony is gonna be this Thursday - I phoned Dr. Munn's office and it was better to get him in now than in Jan (apparently he's off to conferences and stuff, so the timing would be more dodgy). I'm SO happy to finally be doing this. Tim (yep, there's more than a few men who have this phobia) didn't want me to snip him, but I'm gonna, and that's that. Boy's not gonna need balls anyway, there's nary a girl rat around for him to woo (NOT that I would take the chance of breeding either, because their lines are unknown).

Chance is being utterly spoiled with attention - lots of cuddlies and shoulder rides, and bed romps (safest place for me to watch him is the bed, so that's where he has his 'out' time). And he's also losing his fear of the rest of the cage. First half day, he wouldn't leave his fruit basket. Then I showed him Mr. H's empty wooden hut (terrified, but he did realize that Mr. H. wasn't there). Then he started going down more, sleeping in the Chube - I just got back after an afternoon out and he'd been going through the food container, and had been drinking, and was sleeping in the Chube.

I feel utterly ashamed that I didn't know just how SCARED he was of living in his OWN cage until now... :(

Glad you can get in quickly! I hope a snip calms him down, like Lynds said, sometimes it makes the whole world of difference!

Back