Colour-changing rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blytherue

This is probably a silly question and it is pretty trivial, but I am so curious. (Also please excuse me if I put this in the wrong place, not really sure where this would go...) When I got my ratties, Iliaster looked pretty white, maybe a little off white. The breeder had said he was blue beige. Now all of a sudden, this past week, his coat is darkening to a browny gray color. At first glance he looks dirty, and my gut reaction is "who spilled coffee on you?" lol. I would post pictures, but I don't think my cell phone camera (real camera, you will be mine one day!) will catch the subtleties in color. It's only really noticable because his belly is white white and he has a white headspot. Is it normal for ratties to sorta of change colour? It doesn't really matter, I love him to pieces anyway, I'm just so dang curious. :doh:

How old is he again? If he's young, somewhere between 6-12 weeks he is probably just molting (from baby fur to adult) many rats will change color during this time. Esp siamese and himi...

If he's older it could be rusting, many blues and darker rats start to get reddish brown coming in near their bum/back. In shows this is a fault, at home it just add character.

I could also be porphyrin, again this normally happens in older or sick rats. They produce porphyrin in their eyes when they are stressed or sick it is in large amounts, so when they are cleaning themselves they spread it around their body. To check for this you can just give him a bath or a good wipe down, if it comes off then its porphyrin.

Someone asked this question a few months ago and there was some pictures shown.. and the change from a single moult was quite shocking! Sometimes they look like completely different rats! (ETA: i have looked and cant find that post.. maybe someone else can help or can re-post the pictures)

Where abouts are the colour changes occuring?? Saying you have a white/off-white rat who is now turning grey-ish, id think you had a Siamese

lilratsy43 said:
How old is he again? If he's young, somewhere between 6-12 weeks he is probably just molting (from baby fur to adult) many rats will change color during this time. Esp siamese and himi...
Thanks for writing that ^^ Muirenns nose is slowly getting darker but im wondering when her body will catch up. Shes 9 weeks and i wasnt sure what age they had a baby to adult fur moult

ja he is just about 8 weeeks old. it's def not poryphin, the colouring is in a berkshire sort of template. he is rexy too if that matters. i'm such a newb, i didn't know rats moulted... :oops:

I would love to see pics whenever you can find a camera to take them!

Ryelle, I am not sure if there is an exact age where they molt, I think it really varies with each rat. Thats why I put such a large age range. In siamese/himi sometimes they will only get the point on their nose, so there is a possbility she is done...lol

yeah i am starting to think that her butt is just not going to get dark. She is pretty much white, but every day he nose does look darker. I have read that russian blue siamese are normally 'poor' siamese's and mostly white.

Some of my Siamese are mismarked hooded and have very pale markings on their backs which have faded so some of them even look white with points & bum marks haha xx

Well this was my blue point siamese:
060809141.jpg

DSC03104.jpg

Not sure if you can see his butt in this one, but it came in real nice....so your girl may just be really light.

Here is a good example of a molt:
Before-
DSC02780.jpg

After-
DSC03324-1-1.jpg

ratloveandcute said:
Some of my Siamese are mismarked hooded and have very pale markings on their backs which have faded so some of them even look white with points & bum marks haha xx

Haha she is Pedigree so i know she is definately a Siamese and not a mis-marked hooded :)

Her bum seems to be catching up with her nose now (which is pretty dark now - she is coming up...11 weeks on Friday). My mum said last night "whats she been sitting in?? she looks filthy!" but we looked and there is like pale grey fur coming through.

Lilratsy that first picture of the rat moulting and changing colour is the picture i was talking about in my first post - the pic i couldnt find again lol :) very good example of a dramatic moult

Back