Coconut Oil Treat: Safe or No?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnieTessieWinky

Hey, so I found this new treat for my rats. I've read everything I can find and haven't found anything wrong with it, but I just wanted to check with you guys since you're fellow owners who might know more from experience. Plus, mine love it so much that if it's safe yours might too!

So, I use just plain coconut oil in my hair to stop split ends and on my hands and feet like lotion. Whenever I put it on, my little fur balls go crazy in their cage from the smell of it, so one day I just put some on my hands and rubbed it into their fur. They were chutting and huffing happily for an hour while they licked themselves clean of it, then begging for hours more when they were finished. I've heard of people doing a similar thing to keep a cat busy, but there's nothing on any of the rat sites or books I've found, so if anyone knows any danger this could be to them, I don't want to do it again unless it's totally safe. :D

Coconut are fine.

chips.jpg

I buy this Dehydrated organic coconut meat chips for my dogs and the rats do enjoy them too.

I also mix in Cold pressed Organic Coconut Oil to their wet treats (Moistened Organic Wheatgerm) once in a while.

I did it again, and to great results. Not only did they have a great time licking it off each other (which was adorable, so much rat buddy behavior!) but their coats are shiny and soft. Thanks guys!

It's a healthy medium-chain oil that carries numerous health benefits. I use it for massage and my rats also love a tiny dab now and then. They also enjoy a little bit of coconut milk with a bit of pablum and banana for a milkshake!

Back