Cocoa's babies *new pictures!!*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are such beautiful babies! I am glad you have potential homes, and some help finding homes. Now that you've seen them grow you will have trouble parting with them!!

more pictures! I'm gonna hate to see these cuties go. their coats are starting to look more like dad now.

13 days
DSCF1709.jpg

14 days
DSCF1710.jpg

15 days
DSCF1711.jpg

16 days
DSCF1712.jpg

17 days
DSCF1713.jpg

DSCF1714.jpg

3 weeks old
taken right before I cleaned the cage. messy babies!
DSCF1723.jpg

they eat so much, nearly 2 bowls of food a day :thud:
DSCF1724.jpg

poor mama, their gettin to big to lay under her. she's all spread eagle :giggle: I've added a hammock into the cage since this pic.
DSCF1717.jpg

I'm gonna hate to see this little girl go. she's so sweet
DSCF1719.jpg

Hiddin all cute like
DSCF1722.jpg

His name should be buttercup :p taken last night. they were all sleeping in this cup, like 5 of them were crammed into here but he's the only one that stayed
DSCF1727.jpg

the best part is that they like the oxbow that my boys refuse to eat :D

Hi Shade!

Don't ask me how I managed to miss this thread... I guess I'm not very bright. :D

The Boyfriend did WHAT???? The stepdad said WHAT???? Great! Maybe your boyfriend should be chatting with your stepdad about his reasons for breeding rats that were not his to breed.

My stepdad was totally cool when I had my rats. He actually reached the point where he was making them little pancakes on Sunday mornings. I feel sorry for people who are incapable of seeing the beauty of rats. I just chalk it up to the fact that people dislike rats because rats are smarter than we are. My little guys don't seem to have any trouble pulling the wool over my eyes. I don't need to do Sudoku puzzles.... I spend most of my time trying to figure out how the little twerps manage to get into closets and shelves without my knowing it.

I don't want to know how Roquefort found his way from the floor to the kitchen counter to park himself on top of my toaster. I can only imagine that he climbed one of the barstools.... did a straight upward spring onto the island counter and then managed to do the quantum jump from the island counter to the wall side counter ( :shock: that must have been a CLOSE one!!! :shock:)

I went to a BBQ a couple of months back and one of the guests made these AWESOME rat shaped candies! She dipped cherries into chocolate and then partially softened Hershey's kisses. She put the cherry into the kiss and let it cool, then she added the ears, eyes and whiskers! The kiss part made up the nose and the cherry stem was the tail! The dessert was ingenius!

You should make a huge tray of them and stick them anywhere your stepdad goes. He'll get the point if a rat candy greets him behind every door he opens!

Get rat magnets and decorate the fridge with them. While you're at it.... put one on the bathroom counter and on top of his soap in the shower. :laugh4:

Trust me Shade.... by the time we are done with your step dad... he will be dreaming about rats. :bunnydance: :giggle: :thumbup:

My mom has already said the babies can stay till we find them homes, my step dad will just have to get over it.

I was wondering though, I introduced the babies to the adults and moved the boys in with dad and uncle and the girls in with mom and miley. The big boys did great and accepted the babies wonderfully but miley was a bit of a bully even though she got along with them so well before. The babies were trying to nurse her and she kept rolling them over and power grooming them until they squeeked loudly. she wouldn't stop so I tried removing her from the cage for about an hour and then put her back in. She wasn't being mean to the babies anymore and all seems fine but It was strange that coccoa didn't try to stick up for her babies. Is that normal? and if miley does resume her bullying should I be worried that she might hurt them, or is it normal for her to do that?

I wonder if Miley is trying to make sure the girls know who's alpha? I recall Grace, the mother of my foster litter, giving her last daughter a really hard time. After watching the alpha in my girl cage continue to go after the two youngest, I think it's just showing who's who in the pecking order of things.

This is my guess, though if you see blood then I'd be concerned.

There hasn't been any blood and miley has been seen snuggling with the babies now, which is good. but all of a sudden now all the girls including miley and coccoa (who is extremely social) have become skiddish over night. all of them hide now and the slightest sound like feet shifting on the floor make the girls all run for cover. my mom thinks it may just be a phase or that the move to the bigger cage made them a bit on edge but it doesn't explain why my most sociable girl coccoa is acting afraid all of a sudden.

ok picture updates taken today at 6 1/2 weeks. they've grown so much. and first they looked agouti, then they looked mink, and now they're looking like a combo of both. One girl still looks mink but the others seem to have this dark layer on their back that looks like a rusty brown/black. Is that agouti or perhaps that cinnamon color? sorry all the pics have this weird hue to them, my camera was being weird.

Boy 1 (my boy)
Boy1.jpg

Boy 2
Boy2.jpg

Boy 3
Boy3.jpg

Boy 4
Boy4.jpg

Boy 5
Boy5.jpg

Boy 6
Boy6.jpg

Boy 7
Boy7.jpg

Boy 8
Boy8.jpg

Girl 1
Girl1.jpg

Girl 2
Girl2.jpg

Girl 3
Girl3.jpg

Girl 4
Girl4.jpg

Girl 5
Girl5.jpg

Girl 6
Girl6.jpg

And some sad and good news. The one lady that was supposed to get 3 for her kids dropped contact with me the day she was supposed to come pick them up. But i posted an ad on my myspace and one of my friends definately wants one and another girl I know whats Girl 6, the little black one. I tried to convince her to get 2 but she would rather only have one. She still has to clear it with her mom but she said she already has a mouse in a 20 gallon tank and just needs to get a cage for this rat. I told her a cage would be better and probably cheaper than a tank for her girl.

You need to be more adament about people taking home more than one rat if they don't have any already.

The babies are so adorable.... best of luck!

Unless they have another rat I wouldn't adopt them just one.....even if they do have another rat I would only adopt two babies together....Imagine how scared one little baby would be going to a new home the first night....a sibling will help them from being so scared......
I hope you find all your babies great homes...They look so sweet.

Oh my, they are soooo beautiful!!!

I agree with the others, please don't let one go live on her own. It would be so cruel for her to lose all her siblings only to live a live of solitude and loneliness.

They are lovely babies, with the sweetest faces. Definitely they need to go in pairs at least. I'm sorry that the other person bailed on you. It's so hard to find good homes.

yeah I decided last night that if she wont take 2 she can't have the black girl because of all my little girls, the black one is the one that took the move to the big cage the worst. she is my shyest girl and I know she'd be terrified without a sibling to cuddle with at a new home. My friend bethany is coming tomorrow to get her rats. Originally she wanted 1 but agreed to get 2 if it was better for them that way. I trust her to take good care of them, she's a wonderful person. If this other girl refuses to take 2 then i'll let bethany take the black one if she wants her. :)

argh!! i've reached a dillema. This girl's mom will only let her take one and at first she suggested the rat and mouse together but I said no cause they'd fight. Her mom used to own a couple pet stores and told the girl that the baby would be alright if she handled her a lot and gave her lots of attention. I mean, I wish she could have two but at the same time I have to find them homes or they'll have to go to the bad place :cry3: . This girl wants the rat to be the kind that you can take with you everywhere on your shoulder sort of thing, which shows that the girl would definately be spoiled at least but i'm still wary...

i'm not sure what i should do...I know when we had puppies we'd leave a blanket in with their siblings for a bit before they left and we'd give that blanket to the owner so the puppy would still smell it's family as a sort of comfort thing. But Idk if that would work with rats or not. ooooh goodness I don't know what to do.

I guess the only answer I can give you is you have to do what your conscious can live with....

I certainly would never let any of my babies go to "the bad place" and I wouldn't adopt one of my babies out alone to live a lonely life........I know you live with your parents but you are never to young to stand up for what is right in life.......

Maybe try and help the girl educate her mother that rats NEED to be in pairs and that two is not more work then one...less even because she won't have to spend a minimum of 4 hours a day with her.....

I hope all your babies find good homes......

yeah, my mom was saying she'd be fine because I got ben from a pet store and he was alone at first. But that was only a week before I got quasar and even with coccoa, she was alone for I think 2 - 3 weeks before we decided she needed a friend because she seemed lonely and bored. I really thank you guys a lot for your help with all this and I think i'm going to have to convince this girl's mom to let her get two because even though my rats were alone at first, they still eventually had a friend.

Even with ben, he was terrified when we first got him but he calmed down a lot and trusted us more once we got quasar to keep him company. I can't let her go by herself. :(

Back