Coal and Chimo December 26,2006 to July 14,2009

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicky82

I always dreaded this day, I had to take a week before I could write this, it's been hard but here we go :sad3: sorry it's so long.
Coal, my sweet, lip sucking sewer rat (my mom's nickname for him as he loved kisses but pretended he didn't)
IMG_2208.jpg

Chimo, my delicate, sensible PEW, he was happy to just eat and chill out, he was a very mellow boy
IMG_2207.jpg

Their story:
A couple of years ago, I had decided I was done with pet rats, we had just lost the last of our girls due to a tumor removal surgery gone bad. I was up in Cochrane with my bf and on the regional classifieds called myzer.com I was just browsing the pet section and I saw an ad from this woman in Haileybury who I guess had an accidental litter the day after Christmas. I asked my bf what he thought if I got more rats, he said that it was up to me so I emailed the woman asking questions and I decided to try a couple of boys (I'd always had girls) I picked out a black boy with a stripe on his tummy and a pew (I had picked one out though pictures and the lady tried to make them to tell them apart but the color wore off and I still don't think I got the boy I picked :wink: ) . I got my mom to come with us to pick them up, she held the cage on the way home, it was a snowy, dark 2 hour drive to get my sweeties. :heart: they were so little
chimo-2.jpg
baby Chimo
coal.jpg
baby Coal

Chimo was easy to name because he reminded me of the polar bear mascot of my bf's home town but Coal was harder, I ended up doing a poll on another rat forum and the name Coal won out.
Over the years, my boys traveled alot, they went to Cochrane countless times, they went camping in a tent trailer more times then I could count, they outlasted 2 of my bf's cars :lol2: and scared a 20 pound cat to the point that the cat still won't go into the room they stayed in :giggle: and I found Coal in my underwear drawer with a cookie in hand too many times to count.

We had many good times over the years and my bf says that they were the best rats we have ever had (he had rats on his own but were girls same as me) Coal loved to pee on my bf :lol: but not on me, I told him it was because Coal loved him more. :laugh4:
ratkiss1.jpg
Coal kissing my bf

In the last 8 months or so, my guys started to slow down, Chimo developed a tooth issue that needed trimming and hated the vet so much that he had to be put under because he wouldn't co-operate and would scream (that sound scared the s*#! out of me the first time I heard it) Chimo also developed a spot that I first thought was an abcess (or I hoped it was) but it ended up being a tumor, I took him in but I knew that not a lot could be done. Coal on the other hand was slowly going on me without showing me he was. :cry: (they are too good at that) he had pt I think.

Over the preceding week, I had resigned myself to their end but was crying constantly and when not crying I was unable to sleep or get along with. I schedueled a vet appointment to help them pass because their quailty of life was getting lower, it was due to be on July 15.
The day before, I talked to my bf on the phone and told him I wished he could be with me but with work he could'nt. I gave me guys some strawberry ensure and went to cry some more. I came back to see them and they were curled up together with Coal with his little front paw on Chimo, they looked like they were sleeping but they left me together. :cry3:

I have never had that happen to me before, I was worried that one would pass before the other and leave the other alone but I guess they loved each other so much, they had to leave together :tearful:

I'll never forget my guys, they were my heart rats
IMG_2209.jpg

I'm not going to get rats for a while, it hurts too much and my next few years are going to be really busy but I might get a tattoo in memory of them and I'll still be around, sorry about the big pics but they were all I had.

I really hope Rainbow Bridge exists so I can see them again someday, I miss you my sweet rattie boys, :roseopen: I hope you watch over me

What a beautiful tribute to your boys... so much love there.
I'm so sorry for this loss but what wonderful memories you have together.

I am so sorry for your loss. Think of all the good times you shared with your boys....that's what they would want you to do.
RIP Chimo & Coal :heart:

That is such a sweet memorial you wrote. :hugs:
Rest in Peace boys :heart:
I only know now how much it hurts to lose a rattie, as i lost my first boy yesterday.

They're also lucky they went together, that part made me smile! :)

Thank you for sharing your wonderful tribute to Coal and Chimo.
Very sorry for your loss.
Sounds like they were very special boys and had a wonderful life with you.

It's been almost a year since they left but I still think about them often. I still visit the shack but I'm not as involved here much anymore because I don't have any rats.

I think about getting some more rats but since I moved from my parents into an apartment, finished college and working full time, I just don't feel like I can give the attention deserved to some fuzzbutts. I also have my old cat to deal with, she is getting on in years and needs all the attention I can muster after work.

I will always love ratties and someday soon I am planning on getting little paw prints tattooed on my shoulder where my boys loved to sit.

Love you and miss you forever, my sweetie kissy boys Coal and Chimo :heart:

We will look forward to your return... it's only a matter of time before another couple of ratties will steal your heart. Meanwhile it is nice to see you here again!

You have not yet found closure with these little ones and I can relate. My first dog passed away on July 9th of 2005 and I still can't talk about her without crying (5 years later). It's the certain extra special pets that always touch our heart but I hope you know there are many members on this forum that are here for you and do in fact miss your absence.
Welcome back and keep smiling. :hugs:

Hi Chicky,
Are you still in the city or are you further north. PM me. I don't have anymore rats either but still read the forum. Our three sisters of your two boys left us all within a month of each other. I miss them too. Someday we will own rats again.

Ann

Back