Cleaning carpet in free range areas?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SqueakyBois

I let my rats have their playtime in a sectioned off area of my bedroom, which is also where their cage is. It's all carpeting, though, and I'm not sure how best to clean it. I keep a cloth over it but they often burrow under, especially at the edges, and they aren't very well litter trained so if they pee on the cloth it still goes to the carpet below. It's not smelling much to me, but I'm worried about buildup over time, especially since their cage is right there too.

Does anyone let their rats free roam on carpet, and if so, how do you clean it of any pee smells?

Rats are territorial and like dogs will urine mark their territory, but making litter boxes available will help

I cover carpet in the rattie play are with thick linoleum to protect it. The linoleum is laid over the carpet and extends about an inch up the wall so that urine or moisture can not go under it. The linoleum is easy to wipe clean.

Thanks -I'll look into the linoleum, but is it permanent? Our apartment agency is notorious for being really picky about inspections and so even if it's removable, if it leaves marks, I'll lose my deposit. I have a litter box, and they occasionally use it but not always. They also aren't peeing all over the carpet, but I feel like an occasional clean would still be necessary.

Back