Clara: Inner ear infection RESPONDING TO MEDS!! new photo

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godmother

I recently adopted Clara & Hilda, of unknown age, from a student in Halifax who had to move to a non-rat-friendly place. I was told that they wondered if Clara might have PT. when I asked what made her think that, the answer didn't make sense to me (can't even remember it). Anyway, SQ fostered the girls until I could go there to get them. She was fine there and she was settling in well here, too. Hilda often picked on Clara (could hear squeaking quite often coming from their cage). The last day or so Clara has looked a little puffy, but I could see nothing wrong with her. Tonight when I got her out for play time, I could see that she was clumsier than usual. She would fall over easily and not climb well. (that reminds me of Corrie and the first signs that something wasn't right). I thought perhaps that she had sprained something, because she squeaked when I picked her up sometimes. But I couldn't see any injury, and she could run around on the floor OK.

But she kept getting worse. I put her in one of the containers I use for vet transport, with a water bottle, fleece, litter box, lab blocks, and soft food. She was able to eat a Cheerio and she dived into the cereal. But she was running around, in one direction only and very aimlessly. She seemed distressed in the container, so I put her back in the cage.

I don't know how old she is, although the person I adopted her from said she was between 1 and 1.5 years. Her face looks younger to me.

I will try to get her into the vet tomorrow afternoon. Any advice would be welcome.

Could it be an ear infection? It certainly does sound neurological, if not a pt.
I'd get her on meds to start... and maybe even dex to see if it helps at all.

I would treat like it was an inner ear infection as well, she looks too young for PT to assume it is it. Abs and steroids (you know the drill :() I hope she feels better soon.

Treatment for PT and ear infections are the same, so either way you'll be best putting her on a strong antibiotic and possibly a steroid for short term. When my Mac came down with an ear infection, I got her on Baytril and Doxy right away, and we got her a steroid shot that first day.

Yes, I was so distressed that I couldn't see the obvious! So I calmed myself down, read Debbie D's Health Booklet, and gave my sweetie the abs and a drop of Metacam. (book says either a steroid or an NSAID, and my Metacam is not outdated). I had a box of "just in case" Clavamox, which is one of the abs suggested in addition to Baytril.

I took her to the vet this afternoon. She was still running in counterclockwise circles, with a mild head tilt. He agreed that inner ear infection was the most likely diagnosis and he wants me to keep on with the same meds (He's conservative about the use of Pred because of its side effects). If she's not doing a lot better by tomorrow he'll change her to another antibiotic. We have a pharmacy northwest of town that compounds vet meds such as Chlorpalm. SQ used to be a steady customer.

My poor baby! She is sleeping now after all that frantic running around.

As awful as it is that she is not well, I am glad it is an inner ear infection. I hope the metacam works on the inflammation but if it doesn't (I have never found it helped much when replacing steroids) will your vet reconsider?

The prednisone is only for very short term use. We're talking 2-4 days tops. It's just to get the immediate inflammation down to help her stop turning circles. Mac did great on a single steroid shot, but I got her in the morning after she started.

I believe it is dex that is only for short term use.
Pred can be used much longer but has to be gradually decreased when discontinued.

I so hope that Clara will be ok and the meds will prove it to be only an inner ear infection by making her all better.
I've just sent off teary heartfelt prayers to you both.

According to Ratguide and my vet, you do not have to wean Prednisone after a short duration of use. So if used for only 2-4 days, there is no weaning needed. For anything over a week, weaning should definitely be done, and a vet should be consulted for the pace to set for that.

My vet said to bring her in again tomorrow if she is not improving. If I have to do that I will ask for a Dex injection and a script for Chlorpalm. Might have to see if my husband can take her in.... my work day is always packed. I just hate to see her like that.

She was doing circles on the floor at the vet's today, and she had a slight head tilt.

So an ear infection is really better than PT? I was scared that an ear infection could kill her. She is a lovely ratty girl and I got attached to her very fast... don't want to lose her.

If left untreated, an inner ear infection can be fatal. At the very least, left untreated, it can cause permanent damage which is why we see so many rescues with permanent head tilts.

You've jumped on the gun, though, so she should be fine. It's just an infection which can be fixed with abs and some TLC. PT doesn't give you an option, though you may be able to delay the inevitable sometimes.

One of my 1st kids developed respiratory problems and was off-balance and started a headtilt and one-direction thing with an ear infection. She got ChlorPalm and was good as gold soon - the head tilt remained but was minor and no problem.
A PT is a death sentence that just continues to worsen. Best you can do is alleviate it with prednisone or such (which can restore faculties & abilities temporarily so they can be more comfortable and adept til the inevitable end)
Yeah, it's celebration time if it's just an inner ear infection rather than the other!

thanks! That really cheers me up. I have lived through PT with my own ratties and with a couple of SQ's. It's very sad.

So I will stay optimistic that Clara will be OK.

It's reassuring to hear that inner ear infection can be a long fight. I stopped at home on the way from job1 to part-time job, just to check on Clara.

She is not much better, but she is not worse. She still circles counter-clockwise but seems more capable of going straight than she did yesterday. She grabbed and ate two Cheerios eagerly.

Back