Cindy has respiratory issues

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raindrop

Cindy has been to the vet before with a slight sneeze. We figured it was dust and her lungs were clear. This morning I woke up to her with her chest heaving. I have an appt. with the vet for 10:30. Any suggestiion. Our vet is pretty good but I always like to have suggestions of my own to discuss. Her nose sound congested too. She does have discharge from the one eye.

Ann

Yeh, as Jo suggests, it sounds like a typical respiratory infection... Is the discharge in her eye reddish? If so, then it's porphyrin and is secreted from the eyes and nose during times of stress or illness, don't worry too much about it, just keep it clean if there's a lot, but she'll most probably be washing it off herself (if she is still cleaning there'll be some on her hands where she's wiped it off)

So yes, don't stress about the discharge, just take her to the vets and get her on some meds... hopefully it will just be a minor infection and nothing growing there that's compressing her lungs and it should clear up after a short while on baytril which is a standard rat antibiotic... Also, if she seems quite distressed use only fleece or towelling as her bedding rather than shavings, just to clear the air of dust and help ease her breathing.

Keep us updated on the little sweetie x

back from the vet and she is going on baytril and doxy. Baytril I have but the vet has to order doxy and it should be in tomorrow. I will have to talk nice to my pet sitter because now she has two sicky instead of one during Christmas . :( Do you think I can plead my case well enough. :)

Ann

Back