Cindy and her strange behavior

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gramma2jaakk

We think Cindy might be 4 months old now, and she has shown herself to be the dominant one in the young girls cage. She has recently started doing something, and Neal and I are wondering what she is doing.

She will be running around during free-range time, but when she walks over something that is smooth then she scoots her butt on it. We can't figure out why. I said that maybe she is in heat, or is marking her territory. If she walks over something plastic, like a folder (we have their medical papers in plastic sleeves), then she will bat at the plastic while walking on it and scooting her butt.

Anyone have any ideas? Neal said he was wondering if it was worms, but if that was the problem, then the others in the cage would do the butt-scoot thing also. None of the others do this or have ever done it!

Anita

She sits down and rubs her butt on it? Or she squats and rubs her genitals on it? If it's her genitals, then I'd think she's marking.
Does she do like a digging motion on the objects?

jorats said:
She sits down and rubs her butt on it? Or she squats and rubs her genitals on it? If it's her genitals, then I'd think she's marking.
Does she do like a digging motion on the objects?

It looks to me like she is squatting and rubbing her genitals on it. And no digging motion on anything except for plastic. I told Neal I thought she was marking, but the other girls have never done it. They just pee all over us for their way of marking.

Anita

jorats said:
If you press on her belly does she squeak? That's a very odd behavior... could be nothing, just he way to mark.

Nope, no squeaking either. I'll go with the marking. She only does it on smooth objects! Not on the carpet or clothes or hands, but will do this on shelving, smooth cardboard boxes, and binder of plastic sleeves. Weird, eh?

Anita

Back