Chronic URI treatment?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edt94

My two rats have always had mild URI symptoms across their 2 years of life (sneezing, porphyrin). They were on Baytril for about 4 months and then, since their symptoms increased to periodic grunting and discharge, were switched to amoxicillin for about 1 month now. The amoxicillin paired with 15 minutes of steam a day seems to have worked better than the Baytril ever did; their eyes are brighter, they sneeze less often, and the presence of porphyrin on their eyes and nose has decreased. However, the symptoms are all still there, they just seem more controlled and lighter.

My question is for those of you with chronic rats. Are chronic rats' symptoms ever really eliminated or should I expect to just keep them at a safe level for the rest of their lives? Do you keep them on antibiotics their whole lives or just when the symptoms seem to be getting worse? I just wonder if it might make more sense to keep up with the steam therapy and only turn back to antibiotics whenever the symptoms get tough again, but I really don't know?

No... my chronic rats stay on baytril for life and never sound completely clear and sometimes will have flare ups and that's when I add zithromax with the baytril. That seems to always work well with mine.

No... my chronic rats stay on baytril for life and never sound completely clear and sometimes will have flare ups and that's when I add zithromax with the baytril. That seems to always work well with mine.

Awh, poor ratties. Thank you though, I didn't know what to expect after having them on treatment this long. Now that I'm running out of the amoxicillin, I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons as to whether or not I should keep them on an antibiotic for life... Their symptoms seem to generally stay pretty mild without them, so I'd hate to build an immunity to it for the future. I guess I'll call in and chat with my vet about it.

For what it's worth, I've had success with Healx Booster as a supplement for my chronic URI boy. He gets 0.1 mL a day as reccommend by my exotic vet. It has antibacterial properties and says it's able to help with mycoplasma, as well as boost the immune system as a whole. I wouldn't rely solely on it, but it has kept my boy from needing antibiotics for a whole year after he was on them on and off for his first nine months of life. Now that he's old he's back on the antibitoics but the Booster can work along side them. Your milage may vary but you might be interested in trying it.

Sending healing vibes. :)

I'm rather frustrated, I've left a couple of messages with my new vet without a response. They're not leaving the best impression ... but oh well. At the moment, my rats have been off of the antibiotics for nearly a week without their symptoms increasing beyond their normal semi-frequent sneezing and porphyrin around an eye. I might watch them closely for a bit before rushing them back in for more meds.

Back