Choking!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froxen

My rat Scotch looks like he is choking -- there is saliva dripping from his mouth, and he is dragging himself around the cage, stretching his neck out and in. Should I leave him to work it out? Or take him out of the cage? I'm really scared right now, it looks terrible. :(

It's really scary when your rat is choking but the best thing for him is to be left alone. Taking him out will just cause stress, he needs to work it out.
Does it look like he can breathe ok?

From all I've heard you should leave them to work it out and it will usually be ok.
But I hope someone with experience comes soon to help or ease your worry. I can just say prayers - and will..

He is still breathing, but looks really uncomfortable. A few minutes ago he coughed out little clumps of food and starting moving again, but just now he is back to how he started. So maybe he didn't get it all out the first time?

O thank goodness Jo checked in.
Wondering? I'd want to look in their mouth and see if I could see something obvious I could grab with tweezers & remove. Is that a bad suggestion?

or squirt in a bit of oil hoping it loosened up anything stuck? Not suggesting that froxen! I'd listen to Jo, just wondering personally...

No, best to just leave it alone. All the saliva he's building up is to "melt" his food... his choking could go on for a few hours.

Fidget, I think that would just cause way too much stress on him.

Ok, I'll just keep an eye on him for now but let him do his thing! I hope its over soon though.. I hate seeing him like this!

It's gotta be the most scary thing in the world for you. Nobody's gonna just go away and forget tho, we're all close as we can be hoping hard for Scotch til you give us the word he's ok. He will be. Let us know after you've cuddled him and relaxed, ok?

No improvement yet. He has been sitting near the doors of the cage, and we've been sitting with him.

Thanks so much for your concern.. it means a lot to know that someone else cares about Scotch. :thumbup:

My boy SweetPea went through this same behavior a few months ago. It took him a good 20-30 minutes to work it out. Best wishes you and your ratty! I know it's a very hard thing to watch!

Oo, he just started giving himself a GOOD clean. And now he's bruxing/boggling, and drinking water too! Does this mean its over? He was laying completely still for the last hour.

Has he quit choking then? I expect like mamarat says it'll take him a while to get over the stress of what he went thru. But O lord, he's ok now?
Honestly, I've never been thru that and I can't imagine how awful it is for you to do nothing. Hugest Hugs to you, and kisses to Scotch.

No more choking :D -- he was stressed out last night, but this morning he seems back to his normal self!

Back