Chlorpalm 1% Ointment Ear Drops

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

violet976

Has anyone used this instead of the oral suspension? Did it work as well? I've just not heard of giving it this way so I'm curious to know. Gizmo still has her persistent inner ear infection, which I can smell now. She's old (2.5-3 years), has had a head tilt since I got her (over a year ago) with no other issues present until the smell about a month ago when she began showing wet sneezes & resp. congestion. We've done baytril/doxy, baytril/zithro, clavamox and were now going to try Chlorpalm. The vet said it would melt in the ear and would easily penetrate the tissue, but I'm curious if anyone else has used this form.

don't be upset by the number of times this has been viewed but not responded too, I keep coming back to copy the name of the med and to re read the details so I can do a search but so far, nothing's coming up
:/

I've used ear drops with my rabbits in combination with oral antibiotics, it's supposed help break up the pus better. Not the Chlorpalm ones but Chlorpalm is a good antibiotic for ear infections. I would actually prefer ear drops over oral suspension because the oral is so hard on the GI tract and an older rat could lose too much weight.

Thanks. Yes, I had not heard of using an ointment for Chlorpalm before, but I was certainly hoping it would be as effective simply because I've heard horror stories about getting Chlorpalm down. I've had to give it once orally with *no* success, and trying to syringe a tilty girl is bound to be a task.

I have had terrible experiences with Chlorpalm.... I have a couple of rats and a rabbit with head tilts right now (WTF???) and I'm considering trying it but I'm so hesitant.

Thanks so much. I'll definitely keep you posted. If it doesn't seem effective I suppose I'll push for the oral. After that, I think we might be out of options for this poor old gal. She's a trooper though so fingers crossed.

Back