Chip is being a bully

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amanda1472

So Chip is acting more and more like a bully everyday. Dale now has bites on his ears and end of tail. Chip is constantly pinning him down and biting him behind the ear etc. All I hear all night is protest squeaks from Dale since Chip is constantly pinning him and nipping/biting/power grooming. Is there anything I can do? , they are both neutered already. I have not started intros between them and my other 3 boys because of this.

I personally would start intros right away, because I think when you add rats to a group, the whole dynamics of their relationships change
It could be that Chip needs someone else to either put him in his place, or maybe he just needs more playtime.
or who knows? but at the very least, if Chip is occupied with getting to know other rats, it should cut down on the time he has to pick on Dale
;/

I dont' have a ton of experience with all boy rats, though, are all of your rats male?
I've never had a problem with boys who were occupied with female rats. LOL (speutered of course)

I'll reply when I get home because typing on my phone is really hurting my wrist (I hurt it somehow). I do have some advice for you, just knowing what I have already experienced with his sisters.
I'll fill in more later, but start intros ASAP. Like, tonight if you can, in the bath tub.

I say start intros also. I have a friend that keeps all male colonies and doesn't neuter, she manages hormonal aggression by having larger colonies. She explains it's a lot harder for them to be bullies in large groups so they have to figure out a way to coexist. I still prefer to neuter but her approach is correct, rats are naturally supposed to be part of larger groups.

Ok, it is much easier to type on the computer then on my phone >.<

One thing that might help is to have Chip and Dale out in a separate place from where you will be doing intros before you start the intros. If he is anything like his sisters (and it sounds like he is) he has a tonne of energy... like a crazy amount. Try to run him down a bit before the intros, especially if the boys you will be introing them to are calm and nice. I successfully introed Tilly and Lucie to 2 other groups. They are rude little monsters who do not know how to act around other rats. Shelagh is right, I was/we were not successful in teaching them rattiquette :giggle: BUT they are thriving in the larger group. Since Tilly and Lucie have been in a larger group, their "silliness" has really declined. I mean, they are the same nut cases, but they are more subdued. They now get along with everyone (lol mostly) and everyone seems really happy!

It does sound like Chip is exactly like Tilly. Tilly boxed and had minor scuffles with the others when she was introed but she worked it out with them, and is now quite happy. She still has little confrontations with others now and then, but she is doing better... I'm sure Chip will figure it out - but he really needs a larger group.

Poor Dale! Tell Chip I do not approve of him picking on his brother! *tut tut*

Sometimes the smell of other rats will trigger the boy to act up. It will also help to have a rat that teaches him manners. Toby did this to Finley. Finley was a total menace. Toby would sit there and step up when he was being naughty LOL then sometimes I would watch toby watch him mess with others, then he would totally nip him when he walked by :) Rats are funny little buggers.

that looks fantastic! you said this was the beginning, how did the rest of it go?
I didn't see anyone get pouffy, and no one was fear popping- how did you manage that? or did they poop later?

Nobody looked anxious or nervous at all, just curious. Would love to see more. I bet these guys are gonna get along great!

can't wait to see how the next session goes.

Lovely first intro :) Funnily I don't see Chip being dom here at all, Dale keeps trying to step on backs, but your other lovely black rats just ignore him...someone will push it too far and your other rats will probably "larn that youngster"...Its going to be an amazing group I think :heart:

It went pretty much like this for the whole intro, they did more sniffing than in the video, but it went really really well. My black boys are very calm so hopefully it will be a quick intro so poor Dale can have some peace. Ill video todays intro as well.

Intros are going well, expt now Chip is barbering Dale on his shoulder, close to his ear. I can't wait till they can all live together so Dae can have some peace. Ill try and remember to actually film some of it today.

Back