Children's Benadryl...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

I finally bought a bottle of benadryl to try with Brie's snuffling nose to add to her baytril. With javakittie's kind assistance we figured out a dosage of .11 cc for my 328 gram Brie.

What I would like to know from y'all is how often should I give it to her?

I remember Jo saying that she had a rat on it every 2nd day at one point. :)

Rat guide says twice a day....

Even at therapeutic doses it can be pretty sedative though. Plus the gastrointestinal side effects...

Maybe start with twice a day for a bit, then back down to once a day?

Mmm.. my vet has told me in the past that I can safely give 1.0cc of allergy elixir. We did it for Sven which had helped with his severe swelling.

And recently, I gave my Isabelle 0.6ccs of Jack and Jill and it cleared her right up.

In the past, when I was paranoid, I only gave 0.1 and it didn't do anything at all.

jorats said:
And recently, I gave my Isabelle 0.6ccs of Jack and Jill and it cleared her right up.

In the past, when I was paranoid, I only gave 0.1 and it didn't do anything at all.

I guess it depends on the concentration of your allergy meds.

jorats said:
0.11 just seems so low. But I guess it's best to be cautious.
From ratguide:

Rat approved dosages still being determined. Dosage shown below is empiric.*

Dose range being tried in rats for allergy/respiratory symptoms at this time is as follows:

0.2 mg/lb BID; PO 3

Converted its .44 mg/kg
my concentration is 1.25 mg/ml
Brie weights 328 grams

I know you wanna figure that one out doncha? :wink2:

My vet was dosing my 250 gram girls with 1.0 of the children's benadryl with no side effects. Same dosage as jorats vet. Metcam also works wonders.

I'm confused as to what exactly Metacam would do for resp issues? Allergies aren't pain related, and while Metacam does have some anti inflammatory properties, I don't see how that would help any.

It helps because of it's anti inflammatory properties. It works quite well and my vet has moved towards that instead of the Benadryl. It depends on why your using the Benadryl. If it's for allergies or to stop itching then it's a better choice than Metcam.

I personally can't take cold medicine. It gives me anxiety, but if I take Advil I can breathe and my nose stops running. I think different meds affect people differently depending on their body chemistry. Benadryl knocks a lot of people out, but it makes me hyper and edgy.

Back