CHF help & questions

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRatQueen

So, my Gustave (over 27 months old) was having huge difficulty breathing. Abs were not working at all anymore and neither was the nebulizer. I noticed that he was actually losing function in his back legs, and he got to the point where he was dragging his legs behind him almost as if he had HED. I was thinking it was his heart, but my dr doesn't really prescribe heart meds so I was not looking forward to taking him. After talking to a few people, I was actually able to get lasix and atenolol. After the first dose within 15 mins he could actually walk again and he was breathing better. And after his 2nd dose today...he didn't seem as great as last night. His breathing returned to being really rough.

He just had his 3rd dose of lasix, 2nd of atenolol and he actually seems to have better breathing again. I think the atenolol is doing wonders for him. He has lost about 50g. I haven't weighed him today, but will tomorrow. He is eating and drinking.

Does this sound about right for CHF? Or should I go back thinking that it's something with his lungs bc his reaction to the medication doesn't seem to last as long as it should. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks!

Before meds: (about 5 hours after his morning dose)

[BBvideo 450,375:324u63nd]http://youtu.be/Zs5S_bRCIc0[/BBvideo:324u63nd]

After meds: (12 hours after the first dose, this is the 2nd dose for the day)

[BBvideo 450,375:324u63nd]http://youtu.be/LyNhkNNGqAg[/BBvideo:324u63nd]

Enalapril is usually used to test does for a heart problem - if it helps, then atenolol and lasix are added.
If it is the lasix that is making the difference, he may or may not have a heart problem as there could be other reasons for fluid to be fllling his lungs.

If the heart meds are helping, then you will want to put him on:
- an ACE inhibitator - enalapril (0.25 mg/Ib, twice a day)
- a beta-blocker - atenolol (1 mg/Ib, twice a day).
- furosemide (lasix) given as needed (begining dose 1 to 2 mg/Ib, twice a day).

and have an xray done to see if his heart is enlarged.
If it is enlarged, then digoxin (0.0025 mg/Ib twice a day) is given, in addition to the other 3 heart meds
If his heart is not enlarged then you continue the first 3 heart meds as not all heart problems include an enlarged heart.
In my experience with rats having enlarged hearts (CHF), all 4 of the heart meds helped, but the digoxin made the largest difference.

He may also need antibiotics in addition to heart meds.
Many rats have both heart disease and lung problems,
although I have found that when I have been able to treat heart disease early, lung damage has not occurred.
Hope this info helps.

Back