chewing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megk

Ok I dont understand this.

One of my rats, Bebs, always chews the bars at the corners. i used to think she just wanted out because they are super spoiled and have a million things to chew on. Then i moved into my new place and the cage door is open whenever im there (which is a lot) and she will still chew the bars, when she has the ability to come out of the cage.

WHY BEBS! WHYYYYYY

I've found that allowing more playtime tends to stop those bar chewers, but if they're having tons of out of cage time already, it may just be that it's a habit carried over from before when you moved. I wish I had some advice for you, but I've got a couple of bar chewers of my own that just won't be deterred, despite boat loads of chew toys and playtime outside the cage. I think they just do it to irritate me :giggle:

megk said:
Ok I dont understand this.

One of my rats, Bebs, always chews the bars at the corners. i used to think she just wanted out because they are super spoiled and have a million things to chew on. Then i moved into my new place and the cage door is open whenever im there (which is a lot) and she will still chew the bars, when she has the ability to come out of the cage.

WHY BEBS! WHYYYYYY

Mine will check the bottom bars, while the top two doors are wide open. I think they are determined to leave the cage where they want to not where you want them too....

a few of mine do it, but I just let them.

I find rats chew the bars because they are bored or because they want attention. If they have enough room and enrichment and are getting enough out time, as hard as it is I would ignore the bar chewing. Once she sees you are not going to reward the behaviour with attention, she may stop. You can maybe also take her out for a five minute cuddle from time to time when she is not chewing the bars so that she does get the attention she wants without the undesirable behaviour.

I too have one of those..
She´s even chewed the bars when climbing on the OUTSIDE of the cage!(when actually climbing, not hanging still)..
She usually gets 4+ hours of out time every day, chew toys, has play mates etc etc etc..
She still chews and have since I got this cage(maybe it tastes good?)..
She has done it less since she got closer to one year old, but she still does it occasionally..
When she was younger she could do it for hours EVERY night.. Increasing the noise the second I turned the light off to sleep.. I don´t have any advice, but you have my full sympathy!

My Badgy used to chew at night. I found that making sure they always had food available (and giving them lettuce and veggies before I went to bed to fill them up), as well as consistent amounts of out time helped out a lot.

I also tied a wooden chew thing to the part of the cage he liked to chew at the most... that way he chewed on it and not the bars.

Good luck, it can be quiet obnoxious.

Back