Chewing: Walls to Carpet

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EDK

So I had posted about one of my rats Nes, chewing on the walls, and went and got coroplast to cover my walls. He's stopped chewing on the walls, and has migrated to chewing on my carpet instead around the dang walls...

My two other rats don't do this, they just play and sleep, occassionally they will go after the carpet if it has been already ripped UP, which is by Nes. Once again I discovered he has tore up carpet where I cant see, under my bed and under my entertainment center. I live in a rent home with my parents, this is bad if not terrible if this keeps up and we have to replace the carpet. Currently its not terribly noticeable, but it will increase the more I let him play outside the cage.

I'm at wits end here guys, I love my rats dearly. Nes isn't my cuddle boy, he's my destructive boy...and I don't know what to do with him other then keep him in the cage the whole time and only let him out when I want to pet him, (which he hates). I know all rats are different, but I never had one this determined to cause destruction ever, not ever. Of all the rats I've owned he's probably not exactly my home friendly one. I don't know what to do, I'm scared that if he can't play out of the cage without causing destruction, then I may have to find him a home that can handle him. I don't want that to be an alternative, especially after all the money I spent to just keep him from chewing on the walls, and getting him fixed. But I'm about ready to cry...gah too late :cry4: HELP, how can i get him to stop chewing!!!!

Some people by a cover for the carpet or put down those big foam squares that some use for babies too. I wonder if he'd continue to go after the carpet if you put down a throw?
Also, I wonder if he's smelling something in that area? Spray bitter apple on the carpet, maybe that will stop him.

I'm sorry he's being such a little turd. :(

Have you thought about placing furniture, or something on the floor like a piece of wood, if he's only ripping it up in the corners?
Or maybe blocking off the places you can't see, like under your bed/system, when the rats are out?
What about that bitter apple spray? Maybe spray it around the corners/edges of the carpet every couple days?
Maybe there's another room that has tiles or wood flooring that you could talk your family/roomates into letting you turn into a little rat room when the rats are out? I used to let mine roam around the bathroom, after blocking off the "dangers". I'd throw in the toys when they were there, and just take them out when they finish.
Maybe put double sided tape on the corners/edges of the carpet when the rats are out? I've heard that they hate how sticky it feels on their mouth/teeth.

I think you just need to take a deep breath and brainstorm some more ideas to get him to stop, and I don't think you need to give the lil' boy away. I'm sure there is some alternative, and I think he can still be happy if he has to spend his play time on you, and not running around.

I cover carpet in the play area by laying down a thick piece (or pieces) of linolum.
Hardware and flooring stores sell it and some sell left over pieces at discounted prices.
The really thin linolum isn't good as holes can be easily poked though it.

You can see the linolum in the picture below ... I overlap large pieces and seal the seam with duct tape.
I make the edges of the linolum go up the wall a couple of inches behind the cloroplast so there is no possibility of urine running off the end of the linolum.
It is very easy to clean ... just wash, rinse and dry like a regular floor.

007.jpg

This has worked well for me for over 7 years.
I have never had a rat that chewed carpet.
I do this because my rats urine mark and I don't think any of my landlords would have appreciated a urine marked carpet.

I have no wood boards to cover that area, and my issue is, if I cover one thing he moves on to destroy another, he's the most determined rat i have ever MET! And im starting to hold a small grievence against him...They have chew toys, they have toys to play with, all the room to climb around in, they even have this cool chew log i got them, but he insists to chew away where I can't see, till it's too late...

I know he's just a rat, he's not doing this to spite me, he's just doing what he wants. I don't know where to get this bitter apple spray, but got is telling me that's not gonna be enough for him. He hates, and I mean HATES to be cuddled by me, he scratches my arms and hands and throws a fit if I hold him for too long, and I don't have ways to block off areas like under my entertainment center or bed. I spent alot of money just buying coroplast and a play pen that didn't work (coroplast only did so much at the end of the day, didn't seem to matter he keeps finding some way to cause a problem towards the house). My last option I can think of between now and when my fiance gets here, is to ya hold him in my lap the whole time during play time, or get rid of my bedframe and put my matress on the floor so that it blocks the problem areas COMPLETELY. But this wn't stop him from trying to chew on stuff under the entertainment center.

I don't want to get rid of him, and I don't plan to, but I'm at wits end and running out of options of him being able to play freely with the others. He really is being a turd and it's like he is doing his best to get in trouble. I'm trying to breath but can't (hormones are a pain), I don't know what to do "yet"

I know the feeling :roll: Nirvana has been like that all her life :wallbang: baseboards, electrical wires, walls, furniture... You name it, she's destroyed it :wallbang:
I don't have any advice that you haven't already gotten tho, just my sympathy..
A spray bottle with water is the only thing that had SOME effect on her.. But I can easily see her under my bed, and eventually hung my tv/xbox etc on the wall to keep her from destroying the cords..

I hope you figure something out :hugs:

I think I have only one other final option, other then waiting to move into the next room...and thats getting the rattie ball. I had one of those with my first boy and he loved it, though I didn't always put him in it. The ball was for his own protection when we'd play outside my room and when our single dog was out. This was when I was a kid so past basics. I'd put him in the ball and he'd run freely to explore without me worrying about finding him heh. In this case though I see no other alternative with Nes other then to put him in a rattie ball when they are out playing. My only issue is if that's unfair if the others get to play no contraptions and he does.

This wouldn't be forever though. My plans of moving into a room next to mine is that I get rid of my bed frame, and put the matress on teh floor so he and the others can't run under it anymore. I'm predicting if I must, I'll find a way to block off my entertaintment center so he can't go under that either. Everywhere else I'd be able to see him along with the helpful eyes of my fiance or future hubby I should say heh, plus they will have their new tree house by then so that should distract him tones. But right now I have to deal with the now, and being able to keep him from chewing on things he shouldn't but still be able to run freely to a point and the only way i can think of is the rattie ball.

I think you should try what you can, bitter spray, and blocking off even with pieces of postal cardboard(the extra hard, thick one), or furniture.
You can get the spray at most pet stores, and you can make your own similar one by mixing some water with hot pepper juice, though I'm not positive if that's safe with rats and I can't give you the water-juice ratio. Someone want to back me up?

I know it's frustrating, but keep a positive attitude. It seems that you've already given up. Rats will be rats, he doesn't understand. ):

I assume that you put things he is allowed to chew in those out of the way areas where he likes to chew.
(Guess you didn't think linolum would work in your situation.)
As for those rat balls .... rats overheat and die in them every year because there isn't enough air circulation.

I would suggest you buy a large powder coated martins playpen.
(I have one, it works great.)
You could set it up on a large piece of linolum (covered with a fleece blanket) so he would not be able to chew the carpet.
Martins playpens are well made and have a wire cover to contain the rats. This also allows you to hang hammocks etc.
They easily fold up flat for storage. see http://www.martinscages.com

Aug31Liverpoolgirls.jpg

Dec08peekaboo.jpg

Notice that the wire cover folds for storage and so you can easily add or remove things or rats.

That would be great SQ but there's a problem with that, I've already spent alot of money already to solve the problem, and I don't have the space in my room for a large pen like that. In fact the pen I got that failed in comparison was huge and took up 2/3 of my room. The suggestions everyone have made are actually a cheap solution I'm willing to look into.

(Guess you didn't think linolum would work in your situation.)

It's not that it wouldn't work, its that i've already spent alot of money to solve the problem. And buying all this stuff just so one of my rats doesn't destroy the house is becoming redicolous. I don't blame my rat, he's a rat, i love him to tears (which he's brought me to today lol) but I'm not gonna spend a ton of money to concret proof my room over ONE of my rats. It's either the bitter apple spray stuff, he stays in my lap, or the rat ball, those are my current choices I'm thinking on. My room is well ventaliated with air condition, and I've had a rat ball in the past and it worked out fine, but only because I suprervised and I didn't keep my rat in one for more then half an hour with constant breaks, the only reason why i would think a rat would die in a ball is that someone left it in one, or threw it down some stairs thinking it'd be hillarious (its sick what people do, i heard someone did that once in my neighborhood :( ).

I spent alot on my pets and spolied them rotten, but I'm not made of money, hope thats understandable, and I'm not trying to snap I'm just trying to explain my circumstances. All these ideas are great, its just some of these i can not afford right now cause im frustrated enough with what i've already spent on already to solve the issue. At this point I can only do so much without spending another small fortune.

Can you just keep him out of under your bed? One of my friends uses grids (like the ones used to make C&C cages) to keep her rats out from under her bed, that way you'll at least be able to see him and stop him from getting into trouble. Some rats are just destructive/neurotic and you have to be creative to deter them.

With rabbits, sometimes they dig because they are trying to get rid of another animal's scent. Maybe cleaning the carpets will confuse him?

You can also fill a spray bottle with water and spray him when he chews/digs, it may work. Otherwise, redirect his attention whenever he becomes destructive - just make sure you don't reward him or you'll just be encouraging him.

Think I just have to watch him like you said, and ya I dont' reward him for bad behavior. Ya I don't have grid fence to block off my bed, and even if I did he'd just climb over it, he's a smart little devil. But I'll try to put furniture down in those trouble areas to deter him and just try to keep an eye out on him.

I meant using the grids to prevent him from getting under the bed, not on it. I understood he was causing the most damage under the bed where you can't see him. If they're skinny enough to get through the girds, you can use hardware cloth to keep them out.

I know what you meant I just didn't have the material lol, and the space between my floor to my bed is about 12inches, that won't be easy. Last night I let them out to play and I kept an eye on him without problems, this is just something I"ll have to do constantly.

Sorry for the double post, but they are persistent in their chewing despite all the toys I got them. So here's the plan for the time being:

Currently I am researching into a playpen that SQ posted, the thing I have against it is it takes up alot of space when its set up, and it's so large and I can put so many stuff in it they might as well live in it too or stay in it all day, if it weren't for the fact I don't see means of attaching a water bottle in there other then the old fashion way (Hook it out from outside the cage). Still, it can be unassembled and reassembled and easy to store, that would mean I could keep them in my room and let them play there all day, then take it down, and put them back in the cage for the night. But another issue i have with it is that its still not free roaming. The thing why i wanted my rats to free roam was that they were all able to come up and see me. They loved to visit with me and hang out on my desk, even naughty Nes my bad little chewer. If they are stuck in a playpen all day they may get depressed, least this is how i know my rats.

I'm glad that the alternative is there, but for now i came up with another one. Since me and my fiance will be moving into a larger bedroom in our house when he gets here, I'm letting my boys play in that room on the bed for the time being. Its new grounds to them so they are a little nervous of it, and don't want to go off the bed which is what i prefer for now. What's great about the move is that i plan to change everything in regards to protecting the walls and carpet. My bed won't have a frame it'll be on the floor, I'll be able to block my entertainment center more easily while we're doing the move so they can't get under it. Everywhere else is open so if i see them trying to chew I can train them to stop easier. They do it in places I can't see intently I feel, because they stopped doing it where I can see them. So after the move in, they will be able to free roam there without their mommy being too worried and by then they'll have a tree house to play in and more toys to mess with on the floor. So that's the plan, ya its a little annoying have to take them to another room to play, but better then house damage, and at least while they are playing they will have me to watch them and snuggle them.

Back with more updates:

While I was sleeping last night I had a vision, I remembered that I had left over fleece fabric in my cloest that I thought I could try to tape down alongside the problem areas with the coroplast, pluse enforcing it by using some boxes to fully block off parts of the areas where Nes has been chewing. So far after 2 times of letting them out today there's not been a problem! So for now phew, we don't have to go back and forth to the new room, I just hope this will hold out long enough that Nes will lose interest in chewing and will chew on his toys instead :p

I use the big foam mats (look like a puzzle) and laid out the whole room with it. It works great. It also helps with the odor (I wouldn't even want to know what the carpet would look like with all the pee-marking...). I wipe the foam mats down when it's cleaning day. I also put blankets on top. They chew a little bit on the foam mats but not much. I had some left over so I just put them on the floor for them to chew up.

Back