Chewing at stiches over a week after surgery?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mandon

Hey guys. Last week Momo had two mammary tumors removed and she thankfully didn't fuss at her stitches at all early into the healing process but she recently started pulling them out, as I noticed some loose/chewed stitching. The wound is pretty much closed up now besides a few spots but one of her chew spots appears like an open sore. I'm not really worried because the wound is closed but I'm just wondering if I should be concerned & put her back on the infant ibuprofine to keep her from chewing more. Or is it fine if she chews them at this point?

Most vets use dissolvable stitches these days but yours obviously didn't, so her removing them is normal. Some might have skin growing over them which is why when she removes them it opens up a bit

Most vets use dissolvable stitches these days but yours obviously didn't, so her removing them is normal. Some might have skin growing over them which is why when she removes them it opens up a bit

Are you sure they're not dissolvable? I've heard of it sometimes taking more than a week for dissolvable ones to fully decompose.

In any case I'll phone the vet and ask later.

Are you sure they're not dissolvable? I've heard of it sometimes taking more than a week for dissolvable ones to fully decompose.

In any case I'll phone the vet and ask later.

Dissolvable stitches need to be in/under the skin as that is what makes them dissolve. Any stitches sticking out will not dissolve

Dissolvable stitches need to be in/under the skin as that is what makes them dissolve. Any stitches sticking out will not dissolve

They weren't outside the skin though.. to the best of my knowledge. I would have seen them overlapping the suture, wouldn't I? I haven't physically seen the stiches until she started pulling them out. Until then I thought they used some kind of surgical glue.

They weren't outside the skin though.. to the best of my knowledge. I would have seen them overlapping the suture, wouldn't I? I haven't physically seen the stiches until she started pulling them out. Until then I thought they used some kind of surgical glue.

Ahh maybe they haven't dissolved then. it can take awhile...sounds like you have a picker on your hands. Nothing you can do to stop her and some might feel too tight for her.

Ahh maybe they haven't dissolved then. it can take awhile...sounds like you have a picker on your hands. Nothing you can do to stop her and some might feel too tight for her.

As far as Momo pulling them out is concerned, are there any medical concerns to worry about? or can she just go nuts? So to speak

You said it has been about a week?
If less then 10 days I wold probably give meds as the stiches are bothering her
Personally, I have found that at 10 to 14 days, incisions are closed and stiches can come out safely

and yeah, it takes awhile for stitches to dissolve
good luck

You said it has been about a week?
If less then 10 days I wold probably give meds as the stiches are bothering her
Personally, I have found that at 10 to 14 days, incisions are closed and stiches can come out safely

and yeah, it takes awhile for stitches to dissolve
good luck

It's been 10. The wound is closed now.

Back