Chewers

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
So I've had chewers in the past but not to this degree. The new baby boys love to chew up the fleece. I've heard of their siblings chewing plastic and so far, not mine and I hope to god it stays that way. haha
I have cage ramp covers for my old man Bastien. He's now 33 months old and his failing legs need all the extra help. But the baby boys have other thoughts about it. They started chewing all the fleece liners which is ok, I've got more...but the buggers are chewing the ramp covers. I didn't realize until now. When I clean the cage, I close off sections of it so I can clean without pestering critters. Well, I had quite the shock when I saw two rats come out of the ramp cover. I told my sister she needs to make me a ton more. lol

Here is what I saw:

Rico popped out.
Ricoramp_zpsa832c9b3.jpg

And then Clive.
Cliveramp_zpsc02a3e8f.jpg

And how they come down...not so flattering. lol
Clivebackramp_zps7d163fe1.jpg

And of course, I have to share my old man Bastien. :heart:
Bastien_zps0cac9739.jpg

A couple of my girls are nightmare chewers..pretty much every liner I have for their cage is chewed up in the sides and corners. The just finished off their corner cube and are in desperate need a new liners so that is next on my to get list...

my girls don't chew the fleece but they chew the life out of their litter box!

My girls love to chew - seems like it's all for the purpose of creating tons of nesting material! There have been MANY times that I have heard a "thud" during the night , only to find that they chewed off more than they should have & caused their hammock to dump them out - LoL! Little turds.

My boys have never chewed anything - except for food. I find that kinda weird, but they have always been very lazy.

33 months :cheer: - I just love your Bastien. He looks great!:cheer:

Ha ha! That would be Clark and the Buckeye boys - they are chewers (mostly Clark) and have taken out a ladder cover or two... The nakies too (formerly known as the Boris boy's)

Last night I found I have a fleece theif too. We added the waffle house to Axe, Throttle, and Peanut's cage since Throttle kept trying to get off the shelf onto Peanut's igloo house and sliding down. I put fleece in it to keep them warm inside. I no sooner turned my back and Peanut came out of his igloo and went into the waffle house and pushed all the fleece out. I walked out of the room and came back as he was pushing it into his igloo - looking all innocent as I asked him what he was doing. So I added more to the waffle house - same thing... Peanut is a fleece thief.....

For these type of chewers on the ramp you might want to using mens work socks, we had this same problem and I put those large up to the knee work socks on there and it stopped them from doing it. The socks last alot longer.

Back