Chester escaped - How do you find loose rats? FOUND!!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unepuce

I woke up this morning to do my regular routine and I was laughing at how Chester had completely blocked the entry to his cube - but I stopped laughing when I reached in to pet him to let him know breakfast was there - he was nowhere to be found.

I did best I knew - put the cage down on the floor, close to my desk where it usually stands, door open, with water and smelly food (banana, piece of toast with peanut butter) in hopes he will come back on his own and stay. I couldn't stay home today, I have visitors for Toronto and the US to attend to plus my boss is meeting a huge client and had warned me yesterday about the printouts that would be required this morning - BF stayed home, but he'll be a bit useless as he needs to work too, and gets very very very concentrated on what he does.

What are your tricks to get an escapee back into their home? And Renee and Donna, please let me know what his favorite treats were so I can try those as well. I know I will find him, but I feel very nervous, anxious and useless right now - and mostly, I feel blessed that he is amongst the ones that are not on abs!!! Hopefully, he'll get back on his own tonight, after a got afternoon of sleeping wherever he is, when I take everyone else for out time on the couch... (even considering getting a leash for Cookie and have her search him - she's the one that's always after him).

Any thoughts???

Oh he's having a blast right now :) He'll come out tonight once you get home probably. Leaving his cage down is a good idea so he has access to food and water of course.
Try not to stress out too much. :giggle:

I have been in your shoes, little Frack escaped as a baby. My cat Cinnamon was the one to let me know where he was hiding at the time. I finally had to move the China cabinet out of the way to get to him. Just relax he will come out for his food.

:giggle: What a little.... he's off having a party while his Momma takes a heart attack! I am sure once the newness wears off he'll come crawling back. Anytime we had a loosey goose here, we spent hours trying to coax them back. Mine like to hide behind/IN the fridge!

Chtester baby, It's time to get back in your cage!!

When Chester was here he used to love hiding in the couch and under stuff!

He will come out soon enough!

Bad boy Chester! LOL

OK... In between rushes, so I can update.

BF called at 9:15 am to tell me he knew where Chester was, but couldn't get him out.

Called back at 9:30 am to say Chester was back in his cage. Poor thing was a little traumatized apparently. Now that he's back home and in his scents, he should be just fine!!!

My guess - he got loose by pushing the tray in the bottom of the cage (will be locked starting NOW) and had a blast on my desk. Either he tried to get to the CN and fell or slipped in the back of my desk (maybe trying to climb my lamp), anywho, he was hiding underneath my file drawer. All is good, he is safe and sound! What a relief!!!!

It happened to me once ..but no one escaped ..I had Oscar on the couch while I was watching TV ..he went under the pillow ..I got up went to bed ..came out 11 hours later to find him sitting on the couch ..man I felt horrible.

Last time it happened to me, it was right before Fripouille was diagnosed with otitis. She fell off my desk (yop, again) and we searched for her for a good 30 minutes that seemed like 3 hours. BF found her inocently standing on the scale, right in front of our bedroom closet, after, of course, I had conducted a thorough search in the bedroom and closed the door since she was not there.

And the first time - I too was watching TV on the couch and had Picolo with me. I kind of fell half asleep and when I got back to my senses, I searched the couch for him - no signs of him. We started searching the apartment and BF (gosh, I am crappy and finding rats, am I?) heard him in the couch area. He had managed to chew his way INTO the couch. Took another 30 minutes just to be able to get him back!

And Jo, you are right - it does scare the heck out of me everytime! But today was even worse because it happened on a very busy weekday morning, and Chester is so tiny he really could get anywhere!!

glad he is back safe and sound :)

when I first got my boys, they were pretty small and one day we had Rossi out on the couch and you guessed it, he squeezed himself between the cushions and vanished...lol
so, after waiting awhile and leaving the couch alone, hubby decided he was going to take the couch apart and get him out! LOL
good thing this is an older couch we keep at work and usually there is a slip cover on it :)
so after riping off the bottomtaking the staples out of the front little skirt and then some, Rossi was found in one of the couch arm :)

:giggle: I was going to suggest let him be a free range rat. Glad he's found.

Two of my boys had escaped this morning too lol but i'm lucky to have boys that come right to you when you open the door to the rat room so no heart attack or hours of searching for me :dance:

Happy to hear Chester is back to his cage safe and sound!

lj said:
:giggle: I was going to suggest let him be a free range rat. Glad he's found.

We would need to do A LOT of rat proofing to get there - BF is a network administrator whose work is his passion - needless to say we have lots and lots of electrical cords hanging around in the office! A little rat's heaven! :giggle:

Back