Cheap Neutering in Upstate NY

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilratsy43

I am looking to get both Gunther and Casper neutered...possibly Rhys as well. I currently don't have a job but I am going to start working again in the next couple of weeks. Since I want to have multiple neuters done I am trying to look for a place that does them at a reasonable price.

My current vet has quoted me at $350 and I find that a little high for a neuter. I am looking for something in the $50-$150 range. I am willing to travel at least an hour possibly more. I called around locally and NONE of the vets in my area would even give me an estimate.

Let me know if anyone knows of any or if you think I am being unreasonable...

If he's quoted you $350 per rat, that's way high - that's even way too high for a cat or dog! Was it the vet that gave the quote or his receptionist? I find the people who answer the phones will make stuff up and just pull a # out of thin air, especially if they don't like the animal involved.

Contact your local SPCA, they might have a list of vets that do spays/neuters at reasonable prices.

That was a receptionist, but I have gone there many times and they are really expensive. I had a mass removed from my girl Vixey and that was $585, not including the extra meds he sent home with me. Also my boy Rhys' eye removal cost $350, this was all this summer so you can see why I am looking for a place where the prices are a bit more reasonable. There was more then this too...but the list would just get too long...lol

The vet there normally does give me a bit of a discount, but I really don't think he will with an optional surgery. Also with the fact that he has cut prices in half many times for me and allowed me to have a payment plan with one of the surgeries, that I am actually still paying off.

Wow... that is very expensive! I'd start calling other clinics and see what they charge, don't forget to ask how experienced they are with rat neuters too.

I've called and called. They all want me to come in for an initial visit before they will quote me on a neuter, which I also find very odd...I mean by the time I find the cheapest vet (and of course knowledgable) in the area, I will have spent enough money to have just gotten them neutered at the initial place...lol

Back