Chattering vs. Bruxxing?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odoriusagi

How can I tell the difference? I've been told that rats chatter when they are extremely stressed out, and that it is a rapid, snapping, loud and vigorous movement/sound.

What other behaviors do rats show when they chatter?

I assume that the sort of "systematic" bruxxing they do when they are going to sleep or relaxing that leads to boggling is a sign of contentment. But what if, when I open the cage in the morning and the boys rush over, they are bruxxing/chattering excitedly as I let them explore my hands for treats?

Mimo, who was castrated a week ago, is in a separate cage at the moment, and we have to check his incision site twice a day. He seems calm and curious while we let him play on the table, but sometimes when he goes in his house during separate playtime, he bruxxes/chatters. I can't tell - it's similar to Castielle's excited "where are my treats!" bruxxing/chattering, but as I can't really tell the difference, I have no idea what I am seeing.

When Mimo makes his bruxxing/chattering sound, he doesn't seem to be showing any other behaviors that I associate with stress. H seems relaxed, eats his Cheerios and his meds (in strawberry syrup), grooms himself, and then makes the tapping sound - it's louder than Castielle's and sounds to me like chattering.

Thoughts?

Chattering is very loud. Have you ever been so cold that your teeth/molars knock together and it's out of your control? That's chattering.
Other behaviours while chattering is really none. They sit there and chatter. Bruxxing though, you'll see them lip licking and falling asleep, looking all content and cozy.
I've only had chattering here a handful of times and there's no question when it's chatter and not bruxxing.

Usually with bruxxing you'll see some boggling and/or some lip-licking, like jo mentioned. Chattering is usually very "stiff" and grating, like when a squirrel is yelling at you. Bruxxing is more like purring, just kind of a slow grinding. They'll move their jaws in more than one movement, sometimes an overbite and sometimes an underbite, and they're not in a particular hurry.

Hmmm... Based on what you've said, I think I've actually seen more chattering than bruxxing! Do rats ever brux when they are excited or interested? If not, then I think I REALLY stress Castielle out when I open the cage, because he makes a kind of repetitive, gratey sound as he's exploring my hand...

Another question, WHEN do rats chatter? When in pain? When nervous? When aggressive and about to bite (really important!)?

I've seen the brux/boggle while sleepy lots and lots of times, usually when they are falling asleep in their little houses or when we took Mimo to and from the vet - he'd brux and boggle the whole taxi ride out of fear.

Back