changing toilet space

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooket

My rats usually relieve themselves in one corner of their cage, which is cleaned thoroughly once a week and spot cleaned throughout the week. However, one of them has been pooping on one of the upper levels lately. I've tried using a small critter litter pan, but Olive uses it as a bed rather than a toilet.

What could be causing this change?

your rats may just be too lazy to go all the way to the litter pan - do you have males or females? i've heard that boys are worse about that sort of thing, luckily mine are pretty good about it though. i do occasionally find clusters of poo in places other than the litter pan, but i just use a plastic spoon to scoop it up and put it back into the litter. if i catch them in the act or shortly after, i pick them up (gently, so they don't think they're being punished or anything - it's just a gentle correction) and put them in the litter pan along with their little mistake, and they usually sniff around and realize why they were moved.

also, if your litter is too clean, they may not use it - try to keep a few fresh poos in there at all times to remind them what they should use it for. good luck! :D

I've had rat do all kinds of silly stuff. lol
I really don't know if there's any reason behind it other than convenience or preference.

Back