Changing Premade Cage?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faint

Noah
Is there any easy way to make bigger doors on a storebought cage? I found one on kijiji, thats for 15$ but its the superpet one I think and the door is really small on it, is there any easy way to create a bigger secure door?

I'd just cut the hole bigger and then tie the cut out portion onto the preexisting door. And then take like a piece of sheet metal and fold it over the sharp edges. Or you could potentially curve the sharp ends into a loop.

Ugggh that cage <_< I have that same cage as the base of my frankencage and that door is the death of me. It's 100x better than my old base that had no door but still. Super cramped, if you could figure out a way to make the door bigger without interfering with the shelves that would be awesome. Not to mention that price is good too (I got mine for 10$). The wiring is pretty flimsy so you would have no issue cutting through. I didn't have much of an issue with a pair of pliers cutting a section off the top at least.

Rat Resorts are terrible cages. Those shelves are hard enough to get on even if you are able to hook on all four hooks, they would not be steady if you did not support all four corners. There's a good reason why that cage is being offered so cheap... it sucks. If you don't have rats yet, wait until you have enough money to buy a bigger cage.

Bad cage for rats - for one thing, the base is too small!
It might be ok as a temporary cage for rescuing but not good for anything but short term
A rat cage needs a base of at least 30 in by 18 in.
(and at least 4 cubic feet in size for 2 rats with at least an extra 2 cubic feet for eat additional rat)

The shelves are much too small to be of much use as well.
I hope you do not waste your money on that cage and buy one that both you and your pets will be happy with.
I would suggest a Midwest critter nation

In answer to your question, you cut a doorway in a cage and then order a door (at least 1/2 in larger then the opening) from martinscages.com The new door can be attached over the hole. Martins cages can also send you plastic liners to fit over the edges of the doorway to make it safe - may be included with the door.

A CN is not the only suitable cage for rats but you can't get a cage that's less than half the size and expect that it will be suitable. The last cage you linked is ok, the others in this thread are unsuitable and, if that's all you can fit in, you should reconsider getting rats.

A 40 inch long rabbit cage makes a good rat cage if shelves are added ..... but bar spacing is too large for small rats.
(I do have a thread on how to fix one up with home made shelves)

I'm not saying that, I'm only getting two rats. There are no other cages in the market that are similar to a CN that are free standing and not in a stand. Both of the last cages linked say they fit 2 and 4 rats, and that's not including the shelving space that makes more usable space. I highly doubt all rat keepers have CNs or are bad rat keepers.

I've considered a rabbit cage, but I'm worried about them squeezing through the bars as I would like babies. And I can't risk that for the well being of the rats as I have two cats.

I don't think you have to get a CN but a cage that is big enough is a must. I don't know either of those cage but based on the rat calculator if each rat were to have 2.5 feet to themselves you could not fit 2 in that ware level 3 critter cage.with that All Living Things cage you could fit up to 3 so that could be a possibility.

Also I haven't checked SQs thread on converting a rabbit cage but I know she wouldn't recommend something that rats can get out of. She's all about caring for rats properly so you should at least check that and see if you can make it work.

Back