changes in breathing...

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimiko

I have a routine after work where I go check on all the rats, and give them snacks. Everything was normal. Later in the evening I was returning Cinnamon to her cage with Sugar. Sugar came out like she always does when the cage is opened, and that's when I noticed she was breathing funny. It was slightly labored and slightly open mouthed, she was a little sneezy and she'd make quiet squeaks at times too. So I had her out with me for a bit, and she'd breath normal for the most part, but then randomly start open mouth breathing. So I kept her in a smaller cage over night in my bedroom. My hubby took her to the vet this morning, and it turns out she has pneumonia and collapsed lung.

I am so very sorry.
Great that you were able to get Sugar in to see a vet so fast.
I hope that she will soon be feeling much better.

What meds is Sugar on? the dose, their strength (mg/ml) and her weight?

Please let her stay with her friend … separating rats will cause stress and make them more ill,
while if they stay with their friends they may be comforted and their friends may help to take care of them

Here is some info that may be helpful:
http://ratguide.com/health/lower_respiratory/pneumonia.php

Hello SQ,

She's on doxycycline 50mg/ml and baytril 30mg/ml. She weighs 358 grams.

The vet said to keep her separated for now. Our regular vet was off yesterday, so we saw another doctor there. I'm going to check in with our regular doctor though, and see what she says about that.

Hello SQ,

She's on doxycycline 50mg/ml and baytril 30mg/ml. She weighs 358 grams.

The vet said to keep her separated for now. Our regular vet was off yesterday, so we saw another doctor there. I'm going to check in with our regular doctor though, and see what she says about that.[/QUOTE
If they were already together after she started showing symptoms then theres no use separating them. If tI was me id keep them together cuz the last thing you want for her now is to stress which will Interfer with sugar getting better. Best of luck!

Back