Change in Coat/Condition of Youngish Rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

Bridget and Keely were 2 babies that I adopted from Good Karma along with their mom. they were identical!

Nov. 23, 2008- she is fat and sassy just like her sister Keely
Bridgetnov23.jpg

Feb 23, 2009 (13 months old) - her face is thinning and her coat is changing a little.
Bridget1.jpg

I kept thinking of taking her in to Dr. Munn but she was never really sick, ate well, was active, but just kept getting thinner and her coat changed to what looks/feels like a poor soft rex. :( And of course when I did think of taking her in for a look-see someone would get sick, or need surgery, etc :doh:

Now at 17 months of age, I am thinking Thyroid and maybe should start her on a special diet...I have morbidly kneaded her belly looking for masses but they could be deep inside?

With her sister Keely
KeelyandBridgetjun2.jpg

KeelyandBridget2jun2.jpg

Bridget2jun2.jpg

Bridgetjun2.jpg

Any ideas?

She looks like a completely different rat in those last pictures! I have no idea what could be causing it but i hope its not something awful

They are both gorgeous

I am thinking of increasing thyroid foods in all their diets and see if it helps my sweet girl.

Things like broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, mustard greens, peaches, pears, rutabagas, soybeans, spinach, and turnips.

I have spinach and kale at home right now for their veggie mix...

It would be worth a trip to Dr. Munn on this one. It is a mystery in such a young rat.

If it were thyroid, I don't think that the food would help. She'd need meds.

Kisses and scritches to her. :heart:

No links... I just remember my vet telling me this about my sister's girl back in 2004. The main symptom is thinning/changing of the coat. Would be similar to the adrenal disease in ferrets I would think.

Back