Cedar shavings

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adreabri

So due to my dumb-ness when we first got ferrets i bought this big ole bag of cedar chips for their litter box and not long after we got the rats and the rats went on it as well. the rats were only on it for about a day or so before i did my research looking for information on rats and they were both taken off the cedar immediately... well now my question is what do i do with that giant bag of cedar???

And just for a personal curiosity what the heck kind of animal can go on cedar chips???

I don't think any small animals can go on cedar chips as it's the phenols in the wood that cause the problem with respiratory distress and heightened live enzymes.

My friend uses it in the bottom of potted plants and keep the animals away and it seems to work *shrug*

Cedar can even affect humans, that's why when people work with cedar they have to wear masks to keep from inhaling the fumes. Pine and other softwood shavings also fall into this.

Using it for plants and gardening is about all it's good for. I've heard that it can help keeps some bugs away too.

Put them in closets and backs of cabinets and whatnot to keep bugs away. My dad would also throw chunks of cedar and pine in the fake Christmas tree box during storage, kinda make it smell like a real tree when you put it up.

I wouldn't use it in your house ..the smells are strong which can affect your animals

I have a large bag here too, not idea what to do with it. I have heard its good to put in clothes and such you pack away, keeps bugs and moths out of them. I am probably going to toss it outside in the green bin for recycling lol

I_Monster said:
My dad would also throw chunks of cedar and pine in the fake Christmas tree box during storage, kinda make it smell like a real tree when you put it up.

What a great idea!

Can't soft woods be used with gerbils? I thought they weren't prone to a lot of the same issues that other small domestic animals were, but I'm not sure.

As far as I know Cedar isn't good for any animal. Small or large. Horses can have extremely bad reactions to it, even though its sold for them.

I believe the reason that Ceder and Pine shavings are sold is because it appeals to humans. Both have an odor that people find pleasing and so they try to buy it in order to keep out the smell of urine.

chelshorsegirl said:
As far as I know Cedar isn't good for any animal. Small or large. Horses can have extremely bad reactions to it, even though its sold for them.

I believe the reason that Ceder and Pine shavings are sold is because it appeals to humans. Both have an odor that people find pleasing and so they try to buy it in order to keep out the smell of urine.

and it works... With my ferrets on it I could go for about 3 days without changing their litter box but now I do it either every day or every other... ferrets have really stinky poo

Gerbils may be less sensitive but it can still harm them especially since they are more apt to be in the shavings more often seeing as they love to dig and burrow. It's just not worth the risk. ;)

Don't just throw it away, that's a waste of money. Use it outside as mulch in a flower bed or big pot. It'll look good and help keep pesty bugs away.

Back