CCRR Takes in 18 rats 8 more than likely pregnant PICS!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldsGal

We all know the story. Mom lets daughter get two rats. Two rats were suppose to be female. One was not. They had babies and then those babies had babies and so on and so forth. I am told there are three generations of rats coming to me and the females have had contact with males very recently. I do not know how many females are coming and how many males are coming. Once I have more details I will update. CCRR will need to start to think about replenishing the rescue funds once again depending on how many females are pregnant. So any help that can be provided is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!

Staci

Thank god for CCRR!! Those rats now have a chance at life. I'll send you a little something as soon as I can.
What's the best way to send you a donation?

Yep I knew ChipIn and Paypal were connected but for some reason when you use paypal directly they give you grief and shut down your account but when you use chip in no questions asked!

Staci

Sorry Staci, I was directing my statement to any other members who didn't how ChipIn works.
Sometimes people are hesitant to click something different. I should have been more clear.

Talked to the Mom today and worked it out that we will be meeting up tomorrow around 4pm so that I can get the rats from her. I asked her to clarify how many males vs females. She asked her 13 year old daughter to tell her how many. Her daughter was illusive and said she didn't know. She said she had to go look. She was gone for a while then came back to say she had 11 rats. Her mom got angry with her and called her out on it. Said that when she went in to count yesterday she had counted 19 rats. The mom is estimating that the males vs females is half and half.

So the daughter is either hiding rats from her mom or the mom counted a few of the rats twice. One thing is clear is that the daughter is very upset with her mom about all of this. It also appears that the daughter lied to her mom. The mom was under the impression that her daughter had already been in contact with me prior to the mom getting involved. This is not true. I have never heard from the daughter. The first I had heard about these rats was when the mom contacted me.

I hope the daughter doesn't do something stupid before tomorrow.

Staci

I was able to meet up with the mom this evening and got the rats from her. There are 18 rats total. 8 adult females, 3 adult males, and 7 itty bitty babies. Mom suspects that a few are loose in their house. I suspect daughter lied again to mom and has those few hidden in her room somewhere. I told mom that if they are found to let me know.

I do have to say that the teenager did an awesome job with them. They all look healthy and are all very social. They are relaxed and the transfer and photo process and settlement into new cages has not fazed them one single bit. They were all living in the same cage so the chances of the females being pregnant are significant. I am hoping the males left the 2 month old girls alone at least.

First we will start with the adult girls....

Zoe is a Mink Irish. She is roughly 4 months old

DSCN3864.jpg

Dinah is a Beige Self. She is roughly 2 months old

DSCN3865.jpg

Ione is a Mink Berk who is estimated to be 4 months old

DSCN3866.jpg

Pilar is a Beige Self who is estimated to be 2 months old

DSCN3867.jpg

Renita is a Mink Berk who is roughly 4 months old

DSCN3868.jpg

Charla is a Mink Irish who is roughly 4 months old and is starting to show signs of being preggos when you look at her belly from the front.

DSCN3870.jpg

Lolita is a Mink Berk who is roughly 4 months old and also is looking a tad pregnant

DSCN3871.jpg

Nan is a Nekkid and I believe she is 4 months old as well.

DSCN3873.jpg

Next we have the itty bitty babies. These babies don't look old enough to be totally weaned from mom just yet but none of the females appear to be mom at all and they were eating solid food and drinking from the water bottle. I would say they are 3-4 weeks old. I am going to go ahead and take care of them by giving them formula and soft foods. But like I said they are nibbling on the Suebees I gave them an I threw in a few HT blocks too. I plan to use to HT dust to make mush out of it to give them more options. But all in all I think they will be fine.

DSCN3874.jpg

DSCN3875.jpg

Now the males. We have three husky males who are huge squishes in the making.

Seth is a beige self. He is roughly 4 months old and is super calm and snuggly. Could care less what you are doing to him.

DSCN3876.jpg

Wade is a beige self. He too is roughly 4 months old and is also just a love. Very calm and laid back

DSCN3877.jpg

Evan is a Mink Berk who is roughly 2 months old and he is working on stealing my heart. The first thing he did when I picked him up for the first time was begin to lick me to death. Just a lover.

DSCN3879.jpg

Is there a chance that all those girls could be pregnant or did they separate the males and females properly?
They are adorable. Love the rich mink colour.
It's kind of sad that the young lady is not allowed to keep some, all she probably needs is some guidance and keeping only one sex.

mamarat said:
They all look great. Is that a double rex baby I see? Where's Nebraska?? lol

Well mamarat, CCRR is about 4 hours from me. Are you interested. :stickpoke: I actually did a double take on that one and melted.

Yes that is a little DR baby there that you see!

Yes there is a chance that all of the adult females could be preggos. They were all brought to me in one cage together. Two of the Mink ladies already are looking a big preggos to me.

Well the plus side is, they are not skin and bones and needing a lot of medical care, right? They look great, and so friendly! Good luck with these bubs. I love me some Minks, I have never seen one in person lol Thank you for saving these babes!

eagle said:
mamarat said:

Well mamarat, CCRR is about 4 hours from me. Are you interested. :stickpoke: I actually did a double take on that one and melted.

Thanks Eagle but the boss :cop: wants me to wait till after my cataract ops to bring in anymore ratties. :(

mamarat said:
eagle said:
mamarat said:

Thanks Eagle but the boss :cop: wants me to wait till after my cataract ops to bring in anymore ratties. :(

Well we all have to listen to the boss. :giggle:

This is bad... I'm looking at all this, melting over the minks, and reading about all those possible pregnancies... then the possibility of getting some in Toronto... My best friend now lives in TO and comes to Mtl every other week for work - I'm sure she would be thrilled to help if I wanted one or a couple - she was absolutely in love with Mac (she doesn't know he's gone yet...).

Now after Chester I decided I would remain local. After Mac, I decided I would go down to 4 rats. Plus July 1st in coming in fast (moving day in Québec), and the SPCA most likely will be flooded then - so I should go their route if I cave in on the number... I have to resist. I might just be a bag of emotions right now following Mac's loss, but after Chester, I highly doubt it. Gosh... I wish I could help everyone, and save every rat, and keep my sanity on top of this, but I have to be realistic and understand none of this is possible. I'll definitely try to find the guts to look at my finances and donate a little something.

She looks like she did a wonderful job socializing them, and they all look healthy. I wish you were closer, I'd take a few off your hands for ya. :wink:

Back