CATS FOR RENT? Wtf!!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NinjaRatMama

See for yourselves... this in our local Buyer Crier... my mom, RatNanny, just discovered it:

Picture322.jpg

:thumbdwn:

Wh-......what the heck?! O____O
Really?! Lofl!!!! XD That's so wrong,but funny at the same time :'D
Honestly, is this a joke though from the local Buyer??? It's kinda sick =_=
So if you're not happy with a cat,you return it...and it gets replaced? =-=" Makes you wonder- what happens to the cat/kitten that was returned???

At least they won't be dumped or go to the shelter when people get sick of them? :wallbang:

In all honesty though, I don't think anyone will go for this--quite often one can find kittens for free with ease, so there's no reason to pay $30 a month for someone else's cat o_O

They pay a lot of money in some countries to go sit in cafes and pet cats. so you never know it just may.

Well, here in NB ... kijiji is full of cats and kittens of all ages being given away FREE
But, there may be people stupid enough not to get either a free pet, or foster for a shelter or rescue to get a temporary free pet with with no long term committment

There is no such thing as a free pet. Personally if I was wanting to find out if a certain pet was right for me and I could "rent" one, why not. Better than getting the pet and dumping it later.

Actually, that pet "renting" idea isn't that uncommon in big cities here in the US:
New York Times article

And if anyone can't get access to that article, here's the pet renting agency's website that was mentioned in the article:
Flexpetz

At the very least, Flexpetz does seem to have a noble-ish goal of using rescue dogs. But that cat renting ad ... that's sketchy as heck!

Odd but in theory it is a good idea. It may keep people from adopting kittens and dumping them a few months later.

"Not sure if a cat is the right pet for you? Try one out for a week and see!"

Maybe we could do this with rats and show the world how awesome they really are.

I think if I wouldn't have had the chance to rent Hank before I adopted him, I might have reconsidered it. :p

I'd much rather see people fostering pets, but in the grand scheme of things, this isn't so bad. Really, how many people out there want a pet, but aren't in a really good situation for whatever reason. Instead of doing a not so smart thing and getting the pet anyway, and then having to rehome it 2 months later where it ends up in a shelter, they get to spend their time with an animal and have somewhere safe for it to go when they no longer can care for it.

There are hotels where you can "borrow" their resident dog to take a walk or go jogging with, so this really isn't so far fetched.

I'm not saying this is ideal, and the newspaper add posted is pretty... icky feeling. But not the worst idea in the world. Definitely not as bad as the laundry machines for dogs and cats we were all complaining about a while back.

Horrible ad in the original post ...

but after reading the links posted by rhapsody, I can see how it has a place ... if done correctly and with the idea of helping animals find good homes.

Back