Catatonic Rat

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whoknew

Background Information:
when i got my two boys, Dewy and Dexter, Dewy was this crazy adventurous rat that was never to be found inside the cage because he was always escaping! he was like a stick of butter- just way too slippery to catch, although he would come around every now and again to say hi and give you a few sniffs.
Dexter on the other hand was pretty happy inside the cage jumping around and playing with with Dewy through the bars. he would venture out on his own once and a while but would really be at home inside.

Lately:
Dewy has made a complete 180. he doesnt like to come out unoless i physically scoop him up from the cage and bring him out.. even then he frantically searches for a way to jum back to the cage. when i do get him out and have him and his brother playing somewhere where they cant get back to the cage then he kind of runs around and explores but is just so much more skittish. if you make a sudden move or noise he runs for the blankets and hides for the rest of the night. but this isnt the weirdest new behaviour... when inside the cage he climbes up to his favourite hammock and just lays there. he doesnt respond to me calling him or opening the cage doors. if i put my fingers through the bars next to his face he just sits there, with his eyes open, completely "zonked out". i can even bring my fingers close to his eyes and nose, and even pat his nose and head (something which would have never happen previously) and he just sits there. you can sway the hammock, poke him with your fingers and he doesnt even respond. if he does notic he just scrunches up a little so that he is just out of reach of you fingers. honestly, it's like hes not alive. its very scary. he does eat and will take treats.. but i have to bribe him to move to a cage door to take his treats.

so i was just wondering if anyone else has experience with this, or if this is something i shouls be really worried about. im kind of freaking out.. im a nervous momma- what can i say?
thank you for reading my ultra-long post (sorry!)

How old are your rats?
Has there been a change lately? Did you go away for a period of time, did you move the cage, a new pet added to the family, visitors to the home, things like that?

my boys are just over 3 months old.
when i got them my whole family wasnt home (including my cat), they were at the cottage. they came backa couple of weeks ago.. which is maybe about how long Dewy has been acting strange. but surely the smell of my cat would have been present the entire time? also, my other boy has since become "the adventure rat" and always wants out of the cage to explore and play.. and doesnt seem to be bothered that the family is home now.. :S

I'm sure it's not the cat.
So many rats go through a "scared" phase at around 3 to 5 months. I would wait it out, continue to treat him normally, force him out, he should eventually out grow his fear.

Yeah, sounds like freaky-rat-phase to me too. Like Jo said, just keep forcing him out and forcing him to spend time with you, and he should come around eventually.

'freaky-rat-phase' :D Thats an awsome name for it!
Rats are just like people. The older we get the more 'aware' we become of our surroundings and the more fears we begin to get. As a child we are fearless and don't know the true dangers of the world... ahh.. to be a child again..

ohhkkaayyy!
i will keep coaxing him out of the cage and showing him that the sky isnt going to fall down on him. :)
thanks, and i will update if anything change!

Back