Can you help me sex these kids?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidget

Not all great pics... I have no experience sexing kids and would really appreciate (& desperately need) any help you can give! The kids are all 11 days old here. No nipples showing but I did see some before their hair grew in.
I have 2 more photos over the 10 photo limit, I'll put them in a separate post. Thankyou!

The last 2 pics. Truly grateful for any help you can give as these kids need rehoming, I obviously don't want to create more kids by mis-sexing.

I have absolutely NO experience sexing rats either, but boys do not have nipples. So, if you saw nipples you have girls.

Thankyou dspch911, I knew that, but there are 5 REW's (I think 2 had nipples) and I couldn't tell them apart after the hair grew in, thankfully now I find 2 are dumbos, so hopefully I'll be able narrow things down. I can always food-color mark their bellies & post new genital photos if I can't.
The other 5 kids I'm sure about who is who so can match them to their genital photos it the photos are clear enough to sex them.

Ok, I'd like to guess, but you cannot take me seriously.. top one (gray) girl middle one (black) boy, bottom one (black) girl, but I'm not even sure how many your showing us. I color code my nakies tails with different color sharpees. I have five I cannot tell apart. Good luck, your babies are adorable - sorry I'm not any help

the first 10 pics, pic 1 & 2 are same kid, next ones all different kids, the last 2 pics are same kid.The next post are 2 different kids.
They're 3 wks today, I can't wait a few weeks, I need to separate them in a week and a half, and I have an ad on UsedVictoria and people are asking about the sexes...

Last edited:
the first 10 pics, pic 1 & 2 are same kid, next ones all different kids, the last 2 pics are same kid.The next post are 2 different kids.
They're 3 wks today, I can't wait a few weeks, I need to separate them in a week and a half, and I have an ad on UsedVictoria and people are asking about the sexes...

if they are 3 weeks of age, the testes will start dropping any day now and it should be more obvious than 11 day old pics:p

Can you take some more for us?

These are boy and girl 20 day old pics for comparison

boy
Boy-20daysold.jpg~original

girl

Girl-20daysold.jpg~original

and what you are looking for with 5 weekers and diagrams (works for any age)

Boy
sexingboy.jpg~original

Girl
sexinggirl1.jpg~original

Last edited:
If they are 3 weeks today, you don't seperate for 2 more weeks, and don't rehome for at least 3 more weeks
Can't tell from your pictures but it will become obvious within a week

Everybody's eating solid food SQ, mom is wanting lots of time away. I'd planned to separate at 4 1/2 wks (to be safe) and rehome starting at 5 weeks. I want to have an idea what I'll have available sex-wise but will certainly be sure before anyone leaves!
Here's pics today (23 days old)..
pic 1 is Baby 1
pic 2 is Baby 2
pic 3 is Baby 3
pics 4 & 5 are Babies 4 & 5 together
pic 6 is Baby 6
pics 7 & 8 are Baby 8 - 2 photos as they're not clear (didn't get a decent pic of Baby 7 yet)
pic 9 is Baby 9
pic 10 is Baby 10

Thanks for all help given and any you can give now!

What I see.. #1 girl #2 boy #3 boy #4&5 girls #6 boy #7&8 girl #9 boy #10 boy I could be wrong but that's what I see from the photos :)

Wow RatPack, exactly what I'd guessed! (if you read this before I edited I forgot pics 7 & 8 were both kid 8) Thankyou for your input!

Last edited:
Everybody's eating solid food SQ, mom is wanting lots of time away. I'd planned to separate at 4 1/2 wks (to be safe) and rehome starting at 5 weeks.

Hey Fidget!
Beautiful babies :)

Babies become sexually mature between 5 and 6 weeks so people separate at 5 weeks to be safe
(although some on this forum wait until about 5 1/2 weeks).
The newer standard of care is that baby girls stay with mom until at least 6 weeks old because they need this time with mom to learn and grow.

As people have learned more, the standards of care have changed.
While it used to be normal to rehome babies at 5 weeks old,
now it is recommended that babies are not rehomed until 6 weeks because of the stress etc. and the impact this has on them.

In the past, I think most of us rehomed (in same sex pairs or same sex groups) when babies were 5 weeks old - some may still do this,
and many of us have taken in rescued babies that were separated too young.
They adapted, but we now know it isn't in their best interests.

I hope this info helps
and I hope we get to see lots of baby pictures :tumkiss:

Last edited:
Thanks all for the help! There were 4 girls & 6 boys. They've all gone to wonderful homes I checked out carefully and feel 100% great about! Everyone's checked in with pics & updates, and those that went to be with other ratties are all with them now and getting along.
The kids & I got very lucky.
All 6 boys went in pairs, 2 sets to ratless homes, 1 set as friends for a single boy.
1st girl went alone to keep an older girl who lost her cagemate company, they got on great right away. A pair went to live with 2 other girls. The last unchosen of the 10 is a girl so she's staying with me, her mom & 2 aunties (My oldest girl Rosy passed Oct 19). I named her Zahra Nov 11 after the last of the others left.
The single white kid pic is Zahra, the one of the 4 white kids is mom & her last 3 babies left (all girls), the others are misc pics of the others.

Back