Can someone explain...(added question)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riana

... to me what the deal is with combining medication for the rats re: mycoplasma flare-ups? I'm completely confused about it.

Three of the four boys are sneezing, and have been since I moved back home at christmas. It seems to go in intervals, where some days is worse than others. I wasn't too concerned with it overall because they weren't showing any signs of it bothering them, but Guild has started making that whooping-like sound that Rose did, so they definitely have to go on meds.

Rose was on baytril for abut 2 1/2 weeks, and he seems to be perfectly fine. But a lot of people say that they have to use a combo of meds to treat. I just don't understand the reason to double up. I've heard it has something to do with secondary infections... how would one know when their rat has a secondary infection, and when it's necessary to add a second medication.

Clarification would be muchly appreciated! :3!

EDIT: I just picked up some baytril for the boys, so they'll be starting that tonight. I was just wondering, with baytril, is there a suggested length of time that's advised to give it that depends on the problem, or is it for whatever you use baytril for, it's a certain time? Right now they're getting 1/3rd of a 15mg baytril twice daily... I have enough for 6 days. I'll definitely need more.

Say you have 2 meds like baytril and doxy. On their own they are only so effective but for some reason when you double them up they are extremely effective...its like a one-two punch to the infection.

If Rose recuperated on just baytril, thats wonderful, but sometimes you won't get a real improvement on just the one ab, and you need to do a combo.

ah, I see about doubling up for greater effectiveness, but when would you know if that's needed, rather than just one? What sort of symptoms would a rat exhibit that would make one know if a second med is needed?

Rose seems to be doing perfect... he doesn't sneeze at all, other than the occasional sneeze that all animals do. Should I be concerned about him since he wasn't on the medication for a while? Is it possible that he's still sick without showing any symptoms?

You would double up if the single med isn't working...say the baytril for Rose made him a little better in 4 days but then it stopped doing anything (I call this plateauing). I would've added doxy or zithro at this point. Or if there was no improvement at all, I would double up. You should see an improvement on meds from 3-4 days, and it should continue steadily until the rat is better :)

Truthfully our rats are fighting off myco all the time. The rats with the better immune systems (or the myco is a mild strain) don't show any symptoms.

It sounds like your Rose is doing just fine :)

Ah, I see. So, the fact that Rose did get better on just the baytril is good? As I said, he's not exhibiting any symptoms like the others, so I think it's safe to say that he's fine.

Is baytril a good medication to try first, or is there another that maybe has a better success rate?

I prefer to start on baytril alone, why give them more abs than they need until they really need it. :)

Oh I edited my post above your most recent as well, since I hit submit by mistake. :oops:

Back