Can rats that do not live together, play together?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey

My sister in law is getting a couple of boy rats also, hopefully from the same litter as I am.

I am wondering if my boys would be able to play with her boys a few times a week?
We live right down from each other and thought it would be fun if they could still see each other some and have other friends.

Not sure if it depends on the rats personality or if this is something people normally do or do not do.

It really depends on the rats. Have them both in travel cage, let them sniff each other, and see how they do. They will probably seem aggressive, but if they don't then hold one and have your sis in law hold the other, a few inches apart. If they still don't seem aggressive, then put vanilla on their fur, and put them in the tub. You may need a few sessions before they tolerate each other.

Fixing can prevent aggressive behaviors.

If they are all brothers, there should be no problem.
If they are all babies, there should be no problem,
but rats from different sources should go through a 4 week quarantine before being exposed to one another.

Older, unfamiliar rats would need to go through gradual neutral intros, before being in a play area together.

They will probably play nice together until about 4 to 5 months old, then they mature and become aware of marking and territory. It might become too stressful for them.

My friend Beth and I had sisters the first time we adopted rats....She had 4 girls and I had 4 girls....We got them together for play dates every time we got together. Which was very often. Sometimes we would just put her 4 or my 4 in each other cages and let them hang out and visit while we visited. They always got along....but I think it was because they saw each other so often and we didn't add any newcomers to introduce them all to. Now my friend Beth has two of my baby girls and they still visit.....and have no problems.....It depends on if you do it very often....and it also depends on the rats and if you add anyone new. We both have added new rats to the group and those ones are not included in the play sessions......
If it is babies from the same litter and you do it often it might be something they always like to do.......

Like others have said, it depends on age and the rats themselves.

I have had it happen many times. I often babysit my friend Emily's rats, as two of her 3 rats are sisters to my ratty Pepper. I also often babysit a friend Max's rats. His 4.5 year old rat Streak has met many of my rats, and outlived some too. RIght now she is quite old (Obviously!) and so she stays in my hospital cage, at teh end of my bed with the cage door open. She LOVES to just come and sleep in my blankets or cuddle with me all night.

Also, my first two rats, Violet and Matilda were really good friends with Minny and Me, rats that belonged to my boyfriends father (ex bf now).

I find if they see eachother quite often, once they are introduced the first time, they get along quite well. Sometimes if they haven't seen eachother in awhile, or if there is a new rat, there will be scuffles, but its like they just sort it out quickly and then make friends and go make a giant rat pile.

I have been SO lucky that all the rats have gotten along, though streak is a bit frail and doesn't like the rough play of the young ones and would rather just be with me. SHe still likes to play with the others are out time though.

SO YES they can. Just work at it, and go slow if there are problems and don't let them go too long between playtimes or they may forget eachother and have to start all over.

Back