Can rats eat beef KIDNEY?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratsr4life

Well, rats are omnivors like us, so i get the best meat they can have: beef liver :sick2: chock full of copper and whatnot. Well, i hate the stuff, so when i go buy it, i just look for the disgusting meat and shove it in the freezer till i HAVE to cook it up. Well, i bought beef KIDNEY instead, its too late to return it and there is no way in h** i would eat that stuff.

Will it just be as beneficial as liver? Can they have cooked kidney?

im not too sure but i never knew they can eat liver, i guess i should try my girls on it see if they like it. how do you cook it for them? ive never cooked or eaten liver lol i hate the smell and the taste i remember when i was a kid my uncle tried to make me eat it well that did not go very well, ended up on the table :sick2:

I love liver. It's tasty and it's good for you. I don't know about rats eating it thoughIf . I don't see why not? . If you want to try it for yourself, dip it in egg, then in seasoned flower and fry it with bacon. It takes on the flavor of the bacon. yum.

Organ meat usually has higher concentrations of toxins ... so not a great idea.

This is why there are suggested restrictions on eating certain organs of wild animals such as deer.

Kidneys would be fine in small doses, but make sure you de-vein them and wash them well before you cook them.

There's nothing wrong with organ meat prepared correctly.

:thumbup: I love chicken, pork, and beef liver! YUMMO! Homemade mashed potatoes w/gravy, a couple veggies, and dinner rolls. Now, I want some...thanks! I bet Rizzo would like it! He ate shrimp & steak w/me last night!

SQ said:

This is why there are suggested restrictions on eating certain organs of wild animals such as deer.

Filtering the blood isnt the livers main function, you are thinking kidneys.
The reason why beef liver is excellent for rats is because:
Carbs are eaten, then broken down into simple sugars (fructose and galactose are one of them)
The liver converts these simple sugars into glycogen
It is the storage site for glycogen
It also creates triglycerides (lipogenesis)

When the rat eats liver, the body doesnt have to do the hard work of breaking down carbs, the essential molecules are there and ready to be converted into amino acids or ATP. Less work for the all ready high motabolism the rat has.

I recommend giving your rat 2 pieces (1inch thick, approx 1cm long) a week if they are adults. And 4 pieces a week to rats under 7months.
Make sure the meat is fully cooked, dont be alarmed by the green tint in the middle of the meat, its normal. I usually cook it in a pan, med heat for 10minutes each side depending on thickness.

this is why i was iffy on the kidney since thier main function is to filter the blood, but it also has some duties storeing fat.

ratsr4life said:
SQ said:

Carbs are eaten, then broken down into simple sugars (fructose and galactose are one of them)

When the rat eats liver, the body doesnt have to do the hard work of breaking down carbs, the essential molecules are there and ready to be converted into amino acids or ATP. Less work for the all ready high motabolism the rat has.

I recommend giving your rat 2 pieces (1inch thick, approx 1cm long) a week if they are adults. And 4 pieces a week to rats under 7months.
Make sure the meat is fully cooked, dont be alarmed by the green tint in the middle of the meat, its normal. I usually cook it in a pan, med heat for 10minutes each side depending on thickness.

this is why i was iffy on the kidney since thier main function is to filter the blood, but it also has some duties storeing fat.

?????? The question was about kidneys and I didn't mention any specific organs ... just stated a fact.

ratsr4life said:
SQ said:

WOW somebody paid attention in BIO... i slept a little much haha..
GREEEN OH GOD
Yeh i am a vegie so my rats dont get much meat any way.... I cant cook the stuff if i tryed lol... Intersesting to know though. Even if it makes me a little :sick2:

Back