Can rat make me sick?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tbrattypatty

Not sure if this is a dumb question but doesn’t really hurt to ask. My pet rat scratched inside of my nose and made me bleed , I was wondering if this could somehow make me sick ? I know the nose is a sensitive place

I'd just clean it really good. The inside of the nose is similar to the inside of your mouth, in the way that it heals super quick. If it gives you any trouble, take a couple ibuprofen. But other than that, no. It shouldn't make you sick. :)

As with any animal, please clean the area with warm water and soap! Soap up the nose is the most unpleasant thing in the world, trust me, but our beloved pets aren't as sanitary as we are. This statement isn't aimed at just rats, but at our cats and dogs too. If a cat or dog scratched me, I'd still clean the wound out. I also just have sensitive skin/immune system and washing the affected area can minimize the chance for a reaction.

If you're worried about those illnesses and diseases that pet rats allegedly carry, don't let the news scare you. We'll probably hear way more about how our beloved rats may be "carrying something deadly" way more than a dog with rabies or any other illnesses dangerous to humans. Am I against the news? No. Just please take what they (and what anyone says) with a grain of salt. I very rarely see news articles about how rats are wonderful, lovely little companion animals. The articles I see all the time are them as vermin, disease-carriers, etc, which is not true.

Fun fact! There is currently debate on whether or not it was GERBILS that caused the Black Death, and not our bald-tailed furbabies. Dunno if that was ever proven or not.

Fun fact! There is currently debate on whether or not it was GERBILS that caused the Black Death, and not our bald-tailed furbabies. Dunno if that was ever proven or not.

LOL !! :)
It was the fleas - the fleas on people (sanitation was extremely poor at that time), that spread the plague and caused it to become an epidemic ….. it still exists, for example in the USA so who knows how long it existed before it became a wide spread health issue .......................... as for the original individual who got the plague, maybe an animal, maybe a person ?
Just glad that no one can blame it on rats or other small rodents ……. just poor sanitation, fleas, and people

I was actually a huge Black Death nut back in high school. I had very weird interests. I did projects, speeches, etc. on it. I was definitely the weird kid.
As weird as it sounds, the Black Death is what led to me liking rats and wanting a couple one day.
The bacteria in the fleas that caused the plague as it's called today is Yersinia pestis. It has three forms, pneumonic, septic, and bubonic.

Also, sanitation back in the time of this plague was little to no bathing and humans would defecate and urinate into pots and then... throw the contents onto the streets in front of them, which lured in a lot of animals and diseases.

There are still cases today, but antibiotics clear it right up (and quaratine).

But scientists are thinking it was gerbils that helped the spread of Y. pestis and not rats. And humans being nasty, but that was a given.

Back