can I give ivermectin to a baby rat?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Sparrow

I just found out tonight that both Barbossa and Captain Jack Sparrow have mites or lice as they have some scars from it on their body. I gave them both ivermectin and sprayed them with a shampoo for mites and lice.

The problem is the following. Savvy and Davy Jones (5 weeks and a half old) spent a lot of time with them this week as I am introducing them to the big boys. They spent a few hours in the big cage with the boys. At this moment, they both look fine but I wonder if they are at risk. Should I give ivermectin to a 5 weeks and a half old rat?

Silas seems fine too but I gave him ivermectin just to be safe. I won't bother Remus as he is in another cage and very old.

I will probably give ivermectin to Scarlett and Giselle tomorrow to be safe but again, I don't know if I should do it for Parlay and Calypso.

I think that Ivermectin is a no-no with babies. I know that its not supposed to be used in guineapigs under a certain weight. Will your vet give you Revolution for them?

If I remember right, you need to wait till their a wee bit bigger, maybe around 2 months? I checked the Rat Guide and there's nothing about young rats.

My vet said that revolution is ok for 6 week old kittens (baby cats) so I assume it is ok for young rats as well.
You might want to check with a vet.

I have dosed 5 week old baby Bronlings with absolutely no problems :)

They were going to their new home in 2 days and I got paranoid about scratching. :roll:

I dosed 44 rats that day. :)

Back