Can birds get rats sick?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

I found to blackbird babies on the grow yesterday, I couldn't leave them outside cuz there are some cats here that wonder at night, so I brought them home and have been feeding them and taking care of them in general. I have two female ratties, does anyone know if rats can catch diseases from wild birds? I have been washing my hands none stop between feeding the birds and handling my rats.
Also if anyone has any info on blackbirds (feeding etc) please tell me :) I rased baby birds before but never blackbirds!

Last edited:
I dunno about diseases, but they could sure pass on mites & lice.. I expect you're fine if you wash your hands as you're doing and keep them in different rooms if you can. Maybe keep a separate sweatshirt to throw on when you handle the birds? I hope your little birds do alright.

I dunno about diseases, but they could sure pass on mites & lice.. I expect you're fine if you wash your hands as you're doing and keep them in different rooms if you can. Maybe keep a separate sweatshirt to throw on when you handle the birds? I hope your little birds do alright.
Oh thanks! Will try that!

you might also contact a wildlife rehab center to see if they can help or if they have any suggestions because the babies do not have parents to teach them how to survive. Baby birds leaning to fly often end up on the ground and their parents will watch them and take care of them.

Back