Can anyone help me in this Situation?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christie

My Darling baby (only a year old) Kiwi passed on last night because she was really sick. She had a really bad URI and we couldnt save her. It's really hard for me because this is the first pet that I have lost in my 15 years. I can barely type this without shedding a tear. Anyway, what can I do for Kiwi's sister Tyra? I dont think she realizes that Kiwi is gone yet because she still is "happy". I dont know how to deal with this so can you guys give me some advice? I think I will adopt some more girls in a few weeks. Is this a good Idea or no? One more thing, how can I get over my loss? It's extremely hard for me. It seems so unfair. My friend has had tons of rats since she was 4 and non of them had tumours or died so young. when I get my first 2 rats, one gets a tumour and the other dies! I dont even know if this post is in the right section but if you guys could help me out that would be great. Thanks...R.I.P. Kiwi :sad3: :cry3:

I hope you have someone there to give you a big hug...
It's really hard to lose our precious babies... especially when you try so hard to make them healthy.
I would encourage you to find a couple of baby girls for Tyra and for yourself. Even though your heart is broken in pieces right now, having new babies in the home can really help cheer you up and make your heart whole again. :cuddle:

You never really get over it, and nobody says you have to. Over time your feelings about the loss change from sadness to happiness in knowing she has crossed over the rainbow bridge and has lots of other critters to play with and keep her company until her own loved ones join her. Kiwi may not be with you in the fur, but she is always in your heart. :hugs:

Two babies would be great. They would give Tyra company and they would help mend your heart. It is very hard being a ratty mama sometimes. Despite our best care, they can die very young and unexpectedly. Cuddles to Tyra, hugs to you.

mercurydust said:
You never really get over it, and nobody says you have to. Over time your feelings about the loss change from sadness to happiness in knowing she has crossed over the rainbow bridge and has lots of other critters to play with and keep her company until her own loved ones join her. Kiwi may not be with you in the fur, but she is always in your heart. :hugs:

Awww thanks guys! Um, ya she is about a year and 4 months. I think I am planning on buying a Critter Nation ( :bunnydance: ) and then about 3 or maybe even 4 new babies. I asked my parents for this stuff for Christmas a while ago but now that Kiwi died ( :sad3: ) it's kinda necessary to get more rats so hopefully they will let me get more than 1 more and a CN cage!

Losing like that is never any easier. :hugs:
Babies are great, also they are usually easiest to introduce to another rat. They are just fun and loveable.

I am soo sorry for your loss, I know how hard it can be when they die young. :hugs:

My girl Vixey didn't make it to her 1st bday... :sad3:

I know this is a bit off topic:
Everyone has different opinions on this, but when I was part of these other groups they said you should never introduce a baby rat to an adult because the adult could hurt them really bad or kill them even...It seems everyone on here believes babies are easier?

Well that seems odd. I dont really think its true. How soon should I get some babies? Like, I dont really want Tyra to get really depressed and lonely. Is Christmas too late?

It all depends on the definition of "baby". "Babies" should be easier to intro, but if you go too young, then yes, they may be killed. It's just that most people who say "get two baby girls" are assuming any rats you'll be getting will be of that certain age... what's the recommended, guys? Over 5 weeks??

I've never known a rat to kill a youngster. The only time I had blood flying was when I tried to introduce adult boys to each other, never girls.

I consider the "adult will kill baby" thought an urban myth.

A long time ago, my Oliver did go after a 5 week old rat, if I wouldn't have quickly scooped up the baby fast, I'm sure Ollie would have done him in. Same with Shel's girl, she attacked and killed a baby. It does happen...

Back