Caloric restriction --->Protein restriction

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
I've always preached low protein for rats' diets ever since I did my research and came upon the the great China Study. And we've all heard the study about caloric restriction results in longer lifespan but more studies have been done because people simply can't do the caloric restriction. More studies, done on rats and mice of course now show that simply restricting proteins will also result in longer lifespan... but that's specific proteins. Which ones... the ones found in meat, eggs and dairy. This is why I always recommend no meat, eggs and dairy to rats.
And...as an added bonus, this is also the case in humans. ;)
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwJASNFy9XQ&feature=em-uploademail[/ame]

Thank you for sharing this info Jorats

I appreciate all of your posts, as well as your research into a healthy diet for our pet rats
Good to know that switching my ratties to a vegan diet many years ago was the right direction to take.
After finding out the importance of a low protein diet many years ago, I have been very careful about my rats protein level.

and after becoming a rat owner almost 10 years ago, discovering more and more about the treatment of rats in our culture and being involved in rat rescue .... I found that it did not make sense to me to feed my rats animal protein .... it seemed illogical, immoral, and hypocritical for me to do this .... if I believe rats should not be used/abused/tortured/etc why would I think it is ok for other animals to suffer that fate for my rat's food?
Guess I am a slow learner because it took even longer for me to draw the same conclusion about myself and begin the process of becoming vegan.

Thank you for passing on this info. Jorats
You and your journey are an inspiration to me

:happydance:

Back